Is there a single type of paint considered top quality in the trade?

G

george75

What brand is considered the best by pro painters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The trade paints generally - Leyland, Crown, Johnstone etc.

The other thing to consider is that specific paint colour by, say, Farrow and Ball, can be made up by a trade paint supplier much more cheaply but of equivalent quality. If you can't find a supplier to do it, a professional painter and decorator will normally be able to arrange it.

Blup

The other thing to consider is that specific paint colour by, say, Farrow and Ball, can be made up by a trade paint supplier much more cheaply but of equivalent quality.

Are you sure of that ? similar quality maybe but not the equivalent quality. A friend had an F&B paint cloned to try and match a new partition wall to existing walls. There was a subtle difference between the original and the clone. The amount of difference varied depending on the type of light, daylight or artificial.

Noted with interest, but what I was given to understand by several decorators, must admit my instinct was that the higher end suppliers would have better quality paint e.g. pigmentation etc.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Noted with interest, but what I was given to understand by several decorators, must admit my instinct was that the higher end suppliers would have better quality paint e.g. pigmentation etc.

Blup

I only recommend F&B emulsion if the client wants a particular "chalky" finish colour. DT Trade matt has more vinyl/acrylic than F&B. DT covers better and is more durable. It is however less matt than F&B. I would imagine that the component costs of the F&B are lower, I would therefore argue that the DT is the better quality.

And in my experience Dulux have better customer services than F&B. I once called F&B because there were sand grain sized specs of red pigment in the cream paint. As you rolled the walls the roller would deposit red dots. Customer support smugly refereed to it as a "characteristic" of their paint and stated that all tins should be stirred for 10 minutes before use. She completely pretended not to be able to hear my grumblings about having to strain it through a pair of tights.

I suspect that part of the problem is that firms such as F&B have an over-inflated opinion of themselves, looking down upon decorators, seeing decorators as the minions that apply the paint that was paid for by the F&B customer.

Is there any brand or a few brands considered top quality by the trades for house paint?
I need to paint an entire house from top to bottom and am trying to find the best quality paint for the job
It seems to me that most people in the trade have mentioned Dulux Trade as the goto paint of choice but are there a few others?

I tend to stick with Dulux Trade. Their paints seldom let me down.

Leyland matt is OK if you are painting lining paper.

I used a cream Crown emulsion late last year. It was a PITA. I was constantly peeling white bits of gloppy paint off the wall. I did tell the staff in the Crown Trade Centre, they just shrugged.

I haven't used the Johnstones matt emulsion for 30 years. In those days it was like water. No idea what it is like now though.

IMO DT oil based eggshell is way better than Leyland, Crown or Johnstones.

With normal plaster walls is there a preference for either matt or vinyl paint?

Matt Vs Vinyl?

Do you mean Matt Vs Vinyl silk?

Both paints contain vinyl but the latter has more and accordingly is shiny and easier to wipe clean.

Most of my customers do not have children that wipe their foods over the walls. Most of my customers use matt paint. In particularly high traffic areas I might apply a waterbased matt varnish over the matt paint.

Personally I prefer matt, silk has a tendency to highlight plastering flaws and "may" result in condensation in bedrooms.

But it is a matter of personal taste.

If you have children, "washable" matt paints exist but you wont be able to use a green scouring pad on the walls unless you are happy to live with shiny spots. Light marks can be wiped off with a J-cloth.

Yes I meant Matt vs Vinyl silk

i am satisfied with dulux trade vinyl...having tried the trade (non vinyl)..it seemed watery
that was on textured wallpaper
i usually stick to matt as well...silk seems to show roller lines especially on a smooth ceiling
cheers
geof

Vinyl matt (bog standard matt) will allow some of the water in the plaster to evaporate off. Contract matt paints are even better in that respect but the lower vinyl content makes it very hard to keep them clean.

You are correct that vinyl silk (which has a higher vinyl content than vinyl matt) can cause problems when applied over plaster that is still drying.

The ability to clean vinyl silk is a reason why it is often used in kitchens. It is also popular in bathrooms due to its ability to withstand a higher level of condensation.

Personally I prefer to use waterbased eggshell in both cases (assuming that matt is not suitable). It is less shiny than silk, it does cost more to buy but saves on labour time as it covers better.

Oh, BTW, I Dulux (retail) and Dulux Trade are very different beasts.

The retail is often about 30% cheaper to buy but you are more likely to need an extra coat. You may save £15 in material costs and then pay £160 more in labour charges.

Thanks for the good advice

Thanks opps and mrcrow for the info and advice! I think I'll go for trade matt so just need to check out where to find the best prices. I get quite a good deal from Jewsons as I've got a trade cash account but I still find it's often more expensive than elsewhere's normal price.

thanks chaps
i realise the higher price of the vinyl and since i do my own painting diy i have no labour costs
i dont find jewson that good on prices on anything unless you buy a lot
so
i go to my local dulux trade centre...pay up and shut up

i am interested in that eggshell paint mentioned...might give that a try...

cheers
geof

thanks chaps
i realise the higher price of the vinyl and since i do my own painting diy i have no labour costs
i dont find jewson that good on prices on anything unless you buy a lot
so
i go to my local dulux trade centre...pay up and shut up

i am interested in that eggshell paint mentioned...might give that a try...

cheers
geof

I find the (official) Dulux Decorator Centres (formally known as McDougal Rose?) to be far more expensive than independent decorators merchants.

In the event that you decide to use WB eggshell over matt emulsion, thin the first coat slightly and consider using a very short pile roller. Depending on the size of the room, I actually use rad rollers from time to time. Sure, it takes longer but given that the paint is much thicker, there is less risk of the roller leaving lines at the edges of the roller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back