Insulating Outbuilding Shopping List

Sponsored Links
method is securing the PIR boards to what a slightly uneven old stone wall...
Can use plaster board adhesive. Or nothing as the stud wood is pushing the PIR against the wall.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Diyer here who has done this to outside building... Why have insulated plasterboard when you have 100mm insulation ?

And why have vapor sheet (for the floor?) when you have foil on insulation that is taped up. ?

And don't forget to insulate ceiling.

Need to include cost of plasterer to skim plaster room.

And include cost of electrics (working for sockets, ethernet and light switches. )

With regards to insulating a 'house', this might be useful background reading (I have done similar):
SFK

https://jack-kelly.com/insulating_our_victorian_living_room

This shows battons / stud filled with insulation which is what I did.

But
You can also put single layer of 100mm insulation plasterboard adhesive glued on wall and joined with metal tape. Then battons/stud (turned sideways to reduce depth off wall) floor to ceiling. And normal plasterboard on this. And use the air gap for cabling, or fill with more insulatio. This is cheaper than insulated plasterboard.

Ive spent a couple of weeks coming back to this thread and re-reading it. A few people suggested what you said, but I hadnt quite understood it until I re-read yours.

Im attching pics this time as I think it better helps to show the room.

PXL_20240330_185454864.jpgPXL_20240330_185508419.jpg

As you can see the ceiling is vaulted, so I wouldn't really be able to create a frame that is attached to the ceiling and to the floor....not without it getting quite complex anyway.

I realise now that having insulated plasterboard is going to be overkill....but it sounds like I really need to create a gap between the battons on the wall....rather than just screw to the wall.

I suppose i could drill in supports along the wall to support a floating stud wall structure, as well as fastening to the floor. But can I just confirm, the end result would be;

Layer 1.100mm Insulation dot/dabbed to the wall
Layer 2. Sideways battons secured to the floor/ceiling (as described above)
Layer 3. Plasterboard.

And between layer 2 and 3, place electrics and plumbing, and full with some more insulation?

This methods differs from the method I was going to use, in that the battons arent touching the wall.... which I guess is a positive?

Thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back