Insulated stud wall electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. After much advice on these forums, I'm well on with a stud wall in our single skin outbuilding.

A couple of images....but I know you guys know what a stud wall looks like :p

The battens will have 130mm kingspan between them, with a 30mm breather gap to the wall. On top of the battens & insulation ill have a membrain, and then the plasterboard.

Im starting to think abotu where we want switches and sockets, and just wondered what you guys would suggest regards running cable. I guess I dont want the cable behind the kingspan attached to the wall, as that would mean compromising the kingspan. So my options are;

1. Inset the kingspan slightly to create a gap between the kingspan and the pasterboard. Drill holes in the battens and run the cable on top of the kingspan. Would however mean chizzeling out a recess in the kingspan to fit back boxes.

2. Run along the wall, and drill a hole in the kingspan to pull the cable through, also chizzeling out for the back boxes

3. Fasten the cables to the wall, and bring it to the front via a hole in the battens (front to back).

Id also love to know if you would suggest using noggins to fit metal back boxes, or use plastic?

Any suggestions appreciated.

pxl_20240502_073948444-jpg.341899

pxl_20240502_074005012-jpg.341900

Sponsored Links
Leave a 15mm gap between plasterboard and insulation and fix 25mm boxes direct to insulation.
I take it they're 95x45 studs? I can't see there being a great deal of benefit in having insulation hanging out the back of the studs, if there's any water ingress there it'll soak your boards and having an air gap round the sides will reduce its effectiveness (i would assume). Because you havent sheeted the back I'd fix battens top and bottom of your cavities on the wall side and 80mm kingspan knocked back to the battens would give your 15mm gap.
Btw, stud walls are made of studs, battens are typically smaller - roofing battens are 50x25

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back