Inserting opening sash into fixed uPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a number of fixed glazed units in uPVC frames.

I would like to convert part of the fixed area to be openable, to facilitate egress/escape - is that possible ?

The removable beading is on the inside.

Someone vaguely suggested a tilt and turn window unit might be able to be fitted, the window would open inwards, which should be fine.

Curious how a non welded mullion could be installed, screwed one could assume, and sealed with Silicon.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In theory do-able ... in practice not really. Only possible way is to put the tilt and turn the entire size of the fixed pane ... and before you even consider that you need to know the make of profile and who actually manufactured it, so that you stand a small chance of getting a sash that would fit correctly with the right clearances. On top of all that you need to know exactly where all the hinges etc will need to be fitted . We nearly did it once for a customer , ordered all the parts up and customer changed mind ... we were lucky though as we supplied andfitted the original window about 2 months prior to the suggestion of a tilt and turn. I would be very surprised if any window company would entertain doing it, so many potential pitfalls. Will probably be cheaper to change the window!..
Could you not just put Fire Egress hinges on the existing openers or are they far too small?

Thanks, interesting points - my supplier 7 Day suggested the Tilt and Turn, but as they thought about it the chap had less conviction - don't blame him, its an ask I know.

I've fitted a number of windows muyself, so feel confident to make the adaptions - if it were possible.

I should have said the windows do not need to be tilt and turn, ordinary openers are fine.

I guess with the profile that has the removable bead on the inside - it could be the reverse of an outward opening sash, and they open inwards.

The only openers are 250/300mm top openers - which can stay as they are.

Just trying to avoid ripping out perfectly good windows.

Would anyone know when the requirement for an Escape Windows size to be 450x750mm, or indeed a requirement for any Escape window, came into being.

What sttyle of window do you have? My last house had windows with equal sight lines, this was achieved by constructing the windows with hinges and any we didn’t need as openers were simple screwed shut at install.Made it easy to change a closed section back to an openers when Mrs changed her mind ( like they do).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, interesting points - my supplier 7 Day suggested the Tilt and Turn, but as they thought about it the chap had less conviction - don't blame him, its an ask I know.

I've fitted a number of windows muyself, so feel confident to make the adaptions - if it were possible.

I should have said the windows do not need to be tilt and turn, ordinary openers are fine.

I guess with the profile that has the removable bead on the inside - it could be the reverse of an outward opening sash, and they open inwards.

The only openers are 250/300mm top openers - which can stay as they are.

Just trying to avoid ripping out perfectly good windows.

Would anyone know when the requirement for an Escape Windows size to be 450x750mm, or indeed a requirement for any Escape window, came into being.
Think it was July 2000, a minimum opening of 450mm x 450mm and the lowest part of the opening must be below 1100mm to count as a fire escape

Think it was July 2000
So assume that would be a change to Building Regs AD B, presume amendments and dates of - are kept in file somewhere, being from 2000 wonder if ithat is online ??

I have read in a 2008 book that as long as you have a protected fire escape route, egress/escape windows are not required - is that correct, or out of date ?? I did look in AD B - but could'nt see any direct reference to this.

The regs on the size of the opening were designed more to allow fireman/women access with breathing equipment, and is now 450 x 730

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back