How to Overboard a Garden Side Gate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, apologies if this is a really stupid question but as I am a rookie I am wondering how to get some privacy on my garden side gate with some plywood rather than spending hundreds of pounds on a new one I don't have. I have seen many others done like this as per photo but wondered how I would achieve the same? How and what fittings are used to hold the plywood overboard in place? The gate is really old and would be a oian to get off so wondered if you could offer any advice? Previously have cable tied bamboo as privacy but the pigeons made light work of it pulling it all out over time! Thank you for any help I appreciate it.
Screenshot_20240309_124552.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you mean your existing gate is a metal one? Show us a pic of how it is constructed.

I think you could use large-headed screws, such as coach bolts, from the outside, placed to that the screws are against the sides of the steelwork to prevent the board bring moved, with matching washers and nuts on the other side, trapping the board. Coach bolts cannot be undone from the outside because they have no slot or hex.

If you use ply, it will delaminatie and fall apart if water gets between the plies, so paint all edges and holes with oil gloss and primer after cutting and drilling, but before assembly. If you use a small brush and thinned primer, you can get it to run into any cavities on the edge shen stood on end. If you can add a plastic or metal edging, all the better.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys appreciated. How much is a sheet of ply these days and would you recommend to overboard with a different material instead? I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to do the job myself as looked at replacement wooden gate from feather edge and was quoted £450.00 including fitting!

I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to do the job myself
This is a good starter project. You need to be able to cut the sheet, drill holes in it, tighten bolts and wield a paintbrush. If this daunts you then abandon all hope of any DIY, ever!
If it was me [and I have harboured similar ambitions about a similar gate for some time] then I would use decking planks instead, but attached in the same way. My only concern would be if the hinges are up to the task. Not sure how easy it would be to add a hinge to a metal gate.

Cheap option is a couple of scaffold boards cut in halt and add a timber batons to rear screwing through baton to rear of boards.Couple of coats of decking oil.

Thick wooden boards would increase the weight of the gate enormously, and he only asked for visual privacy.

thinking outside the box
some sort off gardening or outdoor mesh that will be sufficient to give blurred view off movement behind the gate but not enough to give a burglar full cover

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back