How to build a DIY Patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4940.jpeg

Hi,

So we are wanting to level the top of our garden to put a shed on it which will be converted into a man cave. We have a limited budget and have had quotes that would eat into the budget a lot. So we are considering doing it ourselves but I really don’t know if this is too complicated for a novice. It is already slabbed on the left and the right needs to match so it’s level and secure for the shed to sit on. There is a wall at the front all the way across that we can use to help level it up. Is this something a novice can do? We can use tools etc just never done this before. Any advice? Also the slabs on the lift I can lift up, do you think this matters when the shed is on them or do they need to be stuck down?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is a good website called Paving Expert and it will be a load of help to you for this project. It is not too difficult to continue the slabs from the existing patio and well done for having a go, good luck.

The work is fairly simple. It's the "shed to mancave/garden room/home office" that's the difficult bit - it's a lot easier to design and build a habitable building from the start (even if the internal fit out has to wait till funds allow) than it is to convert a shed.

Sponsored Links
Have you put a weed membrane under those slabs? The unworked side is riddled with weeds and they'll soon return without one under surface. Have you considered where rainwater will run off? Put a slight slope into the patio to allow for rain and i'd make the shed sit atop supports for an airflow underneath, raising up one side to compensate for the slope on your slabs. What's the area dimensions? I like to leave at least a metre gap around the fence for maintenance and easy access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back