How Good Is Your Spelling

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, some of your spelling errors are the best that I've seen. Incidently, if you do come across the old post of mine that got me pulled up for my bad spelling I would be grateful to have it pointed out. Me? I think the guy was clutching at straws.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, some of your spelling errors are the best that I've seen. Incidently, if you do come across the old post of mine that got me pulled up for my bad spelling I would be grateful to have it pointed out. Me? I think the guy was clutching at straws.

I only happened upon that thread cos I was trawling your old posts out of drunken stupidity and shere curiosity :oops: :) but have to say, I never spotted ANY...but then, I'm a bloody awful speller myself :LOL:

EDIT - but a compulsive reader ;)

I only happened upon that thread cos I was trawling your old posts out of drunken stupidity and shere curiosity :oops: :) but have to say, I never spotted ANY...but then, I'm a b****y awful speller myself :LOL:

EDIT - but a compulsive reader ;)

As I said, he's clutching at straws.

That's always been a funny quote to clutch at straws instead of clutching straws, it doesnt make sense and if we wernt all taught the meaning behind it I cant see how anyone could make out what it stands for.
Where did it originate from?

That's always been a funny quote to clutch at straws instead of clutching straws, it doesnt make sense and if we wernt all taught the meaning behind it I cant see how anyone could make out what it stands for.

I agree that it is a funny quote and have tried in the past to find its origin. No luck though. However, even without the 'at', the meaning is always crystal clear.

In a reply to the Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep topic, Zampa expressed dismay about poor standards nowadays. I cant say that I agree that all students can be tarred with the same brush.

Every Friday at primary school my 11 year old daughter gets a 10 word spelling test. This week the words were:

concentrate...............................condemn
conjure.....................................conscience
conscientious.............................conscious
consistent..................................conspiracy
contemporary............................correspondence

She and four of her classmates got all 10 correct and another five got 9. The rest got 8 or less. All in all, not a bad result and certainly not an indication of falling standards.

concentrate...............................condemn
conjure.....................................conscience
conscientious.............................conscious
consistent..................................conspiracy
contemporary

My next door neighbour creosoted his fence the other day. It took the contagious.

You really don`t know :eek: "like a drowning man .........Clutching at straws" why you not know that :confused:

You really don`t know :eek: "like a drowning man .........Clutching at straws" why you not know that :confused:
Is he drowning in a pool of milkshake?

Sponsored Links
Back