How do I change this down light LED bulb, or is it a sealed unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to change a bulb in on of my hallway down lights. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the bulb out.

Any ideas, or is this a sealed unit?

Image attached.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 09.53.21.png
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 09.53.14.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it make more sense for them not to be sealed units so that bulbs can be replaced?
Yes it would and its something that really annoys me - all this eco bol## what is the environmental point of a completely throwaway unit.

If it is dead then here is no harm in trying it and forcing it open - best turn off the power first though.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them not to be sealed units so that bulbs can be replaced?

In the conventional sense, they are not 'bulbs', besides they last a very long time, so it seems sensible to swap the entire module out, rather than repair. Repairing them, isn't out of the question - I have done it, but you need some electronics skill, the test equipment, and access to the spare parts.

If you want them easy-swap, so you can swap the 'bulb', you can do that too, but you buy a design like that at the initial stage, and they are nowhere near as compact, or cheap.

In the conventional sense, they are not 'bulbs', besides they last a very long time, so it seems sensible to swap the entire module out, rather than repair. Repairing them, isn't out of the question - I have done it, but you need some electronics skill, the test equipment, and access to the spare parts.

If you want them easy-swap, so you can swap the 'bulb', you can do that too, but you buy a design like that at the initial stage, and they are nowhere near as compact, or cheap.
Replaceable bulb ones are cheaper in the long run as only need to change the bulb. And also useful if you are not sure how bright the Lm will be in your room, so having a unit with a separate bulb means you can experiment with different wattages and also colour.
And other than perhaps a 24 month guarantee there is no guarantee the unit will last as long as they say it will.
Also you will have a spare bulb somewhere and you are back up and running again.
Also you will have to make sure the new unit is going to fit your hole
Also you have to do some electrical work to fit a new one.
Sealed units are rubbish IMO

Replaceable bulb ones are cheaper in the long run as only need to change the bulb.

They are a hangover, from the days of tungsten lamps, which would last just a few hundred hours. Any decent LED lamp will likely last decades, given it has an adequate design, and installation. It's always prudent, to buy a spare module, or two anyway.

Yes it would and its something that really annoys me - all this eco bol## what is the environmental point of a completely throwaway unit.

If it is dead then here is no harm in trying it and forcing it open - best turn off the power first though.
Thanks, and good point. Nothing to lose by taking it apart.

Replaceable bulb ones are cheaper in the long run as only need to change the bulb. And also useful if you are not sure how bright the Lm will be in your room, so having a unit with a separate bulb means you can experiment with different wattages and also colour.
And other than perhaps a 24 month guarantee there is no guarantee the unit will last as long as they say it will.
Also you will have a spare bulb somewhere and you are back up and running again.
Also you will have to make sure the new unit is going to fit your hole
Also you have to do some electrical work to fit a new one.
Sealed units are rubbish IMO
I agree with everything you said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back