Hot Tap Outside ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondereing if there was any good / legal reason for not having a Hot tap outside as you would a cold tap ?

Her indoors would like to be able to fill up the kiddies paddling pool (large) with some hot water and also wash hands after gardening etc..

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You would need some sort of mixer taps to control the hot water with the cold unless you're thinking having a sink as well with cold & hot taps.Having hot taps on it own could burn you.

if you think about it it will be more effort than its worth, i mean it is a novel idea, but how do you put a hose onto a mixer tap (to fill pool)

what if (and it is an if) you could fit a hose on, or had two separate taps with an interconnecting hose what if the cold water pressure is too much and went back up the hot pipe ( i know it wont do any harm) but you will only get cold water

unless you had a shower mixer tap but that wouldn't be cheap, also doesn't the water bye law state that all external taps have to have a non return valve?

Besides, 4 other points,

how long is this hot weather going to last? (is it worth it)

why not fill the pool with cold and leave it outside (I have a fountain and the water gets warm) you could always put a SMALL amount of bleach in it to prevent algae / bugs

Also you would need to install a ball valve tap / stopcock to turn the taps off in winter to prevent freezing

What is wrong with a cold pool anyway?, and as i said in this heat it soon gets warm

Sponsored Links
Info: You can get a solar cover cut out to the shape of your pool from any swimming pool stores.They works very well even on a warm cloudy day.
See this.

Good point Breezer's regarding water bye law state that all external taps have to have a non return valve which is correct as it prevent contaminated water being drawn back into the system.I would say 90% of property haven't got this !!!

Thanks guys, all good points

The way I see it is to have two taps and perhaps an old belfast sink for cleaning stuff in. The hose pipe could then just be switched between the two supplies as required.

The largish paddling pool is for the kids and trying to get kids to wait until the pool is warm is rather difficult and it is no fun watching them shivering at 9am in the pool.

The kits at screwfix http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y3A421095 have all the necessary in and are very easy to fit. (Just done one for my Dad)

Well seeing as thought there are no major reasons against and it is a simple task to do during the kitchen refit I think I will do it for the sake of £9

I already have an outdoor sink although I opted for cold water only. With our old bath taps connected to a washing machine inlet hose which connects to the y piece on the tap. The water come out warm for the first five seconds anyway after the hose has baked in the sun, plenty time to wash the hands in.

Give 'em a cold paddling pool, we had to suffer it when we were young, stop spoiling the little buggers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

There's no reason why you shouldn't have a hot outside tap. Handy for washing the Rolls. Same rules apply as for cold taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back