Found it at last!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago, to ensure my car's battery was kept ready and fully charged, I added a special 'live all the time' ciggy socket, tucked in behind the glove box door. Park in the garage, and just plug a ciggy plug in, hanging down from the roof. On a smart plug timer, so charges 20 minutes per day. As ciggy sockets are a bit hit and miss, I added a flashing LED which flashes, to confirm it is 'seeing' 12v. Easy to check, whenever I go in the garage, that the LED is flashing - then I know all is OK>

My car has a built in Freeview TV, but years ago, I mislaid the remote control for it. No remote - not much you can do with the TV, other than watch the displayed channel. I thought I had searched the entire car for the remote, everywhere, all the pockets, under the seats, everywhere.

This week, the LED stopped flashing, suggesting the plug wasn't making proper contact. Further investigation, showed the ciggy socket had sunk into the soft faced trim - so no other option, than to remove everything from the glove box, and pull the entire box out, to gain access to the rear of the socket. At the very back of the box, was the remote control, just needing a new battery, and TV working again.

To fix the socket, I just made a plastic washer, to fit under the lip of the socket. All reconnected, and tested - I just need to to refit the glove box.

Sponsored Links
Back