Fly the flag

Sponsored Links
I can't see it as they would be setting a precedent for Spain/Catalonia breaking up Spain
You have a point but as Spain is still a member of the EU it would always be in the EUs interest not to alienate Spain by supporting Catalonia.
If Spain decided to leave the EU then there would probably be a different response from the EU.

The EU has welcomed what were essentially 3rd world countries into the fold.
Scotland would have no problem, of course the EU would play hard to get at first so as not to wind up England but gradually the "criteria" would be adjusted to accommodate Scotlands entry.
The EU adjusted ( euphemism for cook the books) the criteria to allow the likes of Greece to join the Eurozone,economic basket cases like Romania, Latvia ect. didn't have much problem joining the EU.
Scotland on the other hand is first world country with a highley educated workforce and a strong economic base.
However i don't think they will go for independence as their economy is too strongly entwined with the rest of the UK.
If a second referendum goes ahead I'm a lot more concerned about the voting income this time round. Whereas before I expected those in favor of the union to win a majority (albeit I wasn't expecting a massive % difference) this time round I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I've stated previously, whilst politicians of all parties do it, it really frustrates me when you hear SNP politicians say things like 'the people of Scotland have spoken!' or 'the people of Scotland wanted to remain in the EU! it's not factually correct. Referring to Brexit, yes, 62% of Scots voted remain, however this obviously means 38% voted leave. And from my perspective we were voting as the UK anyway, not separate nations within. So whilst it's a sizeable majority, they weren't then and aren't now speaking for all Scots.

I see little logic in wanting to break up the union to then reenter the EU and yes, I'm aware the political constructs are different.

My concern is, with their 'material change' mantra, even if they get a second referendum and lose again, if they remain in power they'll find a reason to say another one is required x years later.

So whilst it's a sizeable majority, they weren't then and aren't now speaking for all Scots.

In the same way that 52% is certainly NOT a sizeable marothy, and never spoke for all Brits.

Sponsored Links
Brussels is now behaving like the school bully. It's about time our leaders took the gloves off and started fighting Britain's corner.

This nation used to be the scourge of Europe - Agincourt, Blenheim, Waterloo and the rest. Now we have grovelling Gove asking ever-so-nicely if we might just extend the grace period for NI, so that we might - with VdL's and Merkel's approval - trade with nations within our own borders - if it's no trouble...please...?

Ah, striving for enmity, eh.

And wistfully yearning for a return to the days of European warfare.

Fool.

You have a point but as Spain is still a member of the EU it would always be in the EUs interest not to alienate Spain by supporting Catalonia.
If Spain decided to leave the EU then there would probably be a different response from the EU.

Yes that's my point

Sturgeon has never come clean with Scots voters on the implications of independence.
What currency would they use? (using Sterling would not be independence);
How would they get back into the EU? - (they have to show fiscal competence for a number of years before being admitted);
There would be a hard border with rUK, their biggest market;
Most sensible Scots would sell up and move south - Scotland would become a failed state.
Did UK and Brexiteers dot all the i's and cross all the t's before holding the Brexit referendum? Of course not!
Talk some sense. There's no point in doting all the i's and crossing all the t's until the referendum decides the outcome.
Only when the outcome is decided do negotiations about details begin. And if you're like a typical Brexiteer, you wait until a minute before midnight to sign up for what is your worst option because there's nowt else left. And even then it's not over, negotiations continue to sort out the myriad of undecided issues. (What do you suppose Lord Frost and his team are doing to occupy their time?)

I will turn this on its head?? If I may?

All this [type] of Anti-Scottish rhetoric including the main instigators, Bo-Jo + Greace moog are really really assisting the Scots to want to stay in a Union.

Just think about it? even if it is for a couple of Milliseconds
I'm struggling to understand your reasoning. Can you explain, please?

nah they will have the EU to bail em out :LOL:

sooner they gain independance the better for all concerned IMO

every thing sturgeon does is with the goal of independance in mind
Flying this flag to this Chinese virus caper

The Labour Party that use to hold sway in Scotland have been wiped out

Polks show the Scots have a majority in favour of independance
Get the referendum done and get them out of the union ASAP
You persistently demonstrate your raging xenophobia. You manage to introduce your bigotry into every nook and cranny of this forum.
But you really shouldn't consider Scots as foreigners.

Sorry, but Brexit was negotiated largely by closet Remainers, who had little enthusiasm. It was also aided and abetted by 5th-columnists here, scurrying backwards and forwards to see Barnier, including Sturgeon, Grieve, Blair, Major, traitors all.
In the 17th century, they would have been on the gallows for colluding with a foreign entity against HMG.
Consequently, we haven't got a proper Brexit, as events over the last few weeks have shown.
But Brexit is done! BJ told you it was done. :LOL:

That's another reason the Scots won't be allowed in the club, Spain would veto it.
I dare say EU could persuade Spain to change their mind.
If EU can persuade Spain to suspend their disagreements with UK, I'm sure that some agreement could be achieved with Scotland's application to join, if that ever materialises.

well yes she is in her element using this Chinese virus caper to her own ends

A sensible tactic imho gives the impression that Scotland are doing it better and saying to the people
Look how we are dealing with this crisis the English are doing worse
Etc etc

good move on her part IMO
Raging xenophobe.

Sponsored Links
Back