Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What grade, thickness & recommended manufacturer for flooring insulation, which should be used between hardcore & concrete slab.

Sponsored Links
Insulation between hardcore & concrete slab? New one on me.
I have to ask. Why?

I've just come across this problem.

I would like to replace my current ground floor (dining room) material in an old terraced house. The room is approx. 3.5m x3m with a fireplace chimney breast.

The floor currently consists of quarry tiles laid directly to ground (sand blinding on what appears to be charcoal or soil) and I'd like to replace this with a concrete floor.

My uncle is coming to help me with this this weekend and he suggested removing the tiles, clearing down a couple of inches and then putting in a concrete mix of 3 inch depth over a DPM.

I checked this with the building controller and he says I need to dig down a foot, put in 6 inch of compacted hardcore, a sand blinding, the DPM, 125mm polystyrene insulation (or equivalent insulation material), and have it inspected before covering with a 2inch screed. Apparently, it's all to do with new govt regs on thermal insulation.

Obviously, this is a lot of work and expense. The quarry tiles have been down a century or more so are solid but I am worried about the damp proofing aspect (there seems to be a little problem on the chimney breast).

Any ideas on whether it would be advisable to ceramic tile or put laminate down directly onto the quarry tiles or should I use a levelling compound first?

Mike

Your uncles suggestion is the minimum acceptable. the earth below is probably sufficiently consolidated that the concrete will not crack too soon.

The BCO's suggestion is a much better job. The extra effort work will mostly be in the digging out. If the building work is under BCO control, the BCO is in charge, so you had better do as he says.

Laying laminate on your old quarry tiles will not be satisfactory.

Sponsored Links
kblanch said:
What grade, thickness & recommended manufacturer for flooring insulation, which should be used between hardcore & concrete slab.

100mm polystyrene is ok or a thinner denser equivalent such as kingspan or cellotex, usually 80mm.

TexMex, get with the times. when was the last time you laid a floor?

:D Yes, did sound odd.

It was more in the context of the Homebuyers' Pack. If I decide to sell then it would be a problem in terms of the declaration of improvements and the Energy efficiency report.

So, I'm left with the choice of shifting several tons of soil out of my dining room, put several tons of hardcore and such back in, then wait for their visit so I can complete the job in order to comply with current building regs or leave it as it is and cover the floor for a fraction of the cost and effort.

Anybody any thoughts on ceramic floor tiles over quarry tiles? The quarry tiles are in solid condition but filthy ( varius adhesives and stuff used on them and impossible to clean adequately).

mogdom, maybe its me but I don't think you've made it very clear what it is you're trying to achieve or why?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back