Fixing Metal Trunking/Channel to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 'chased' a cable down from a back box through about an inch of plaster and want to cover it some metal trunking (my word) but don't know the best way to sticking to the brick wall. i've tried masonry nail & small screws but they either bend or the screws are too close the edge of the metal strip.

Im thinking of somehow squirting some 'no nails' along it, prior to it be re-plastered.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have 'chased' a cable down from a back box through about an inch of plaster and want to cover it some metal trunking (my word)
Why?
It's called capping.

Do you mean 'chased' as in dug out an inch of plaster along the whole run?
If so, just clip the cable and fill the chase.

I have 'chased' a cable down from a back box through about an inch of plaster and want to cover it some metal trunking (my word)
Why?
It's called capping.

Do you mean 'chased' as in dug out an inch of plaster along the whole run?
If so, just clip the cable and fill the chase.

Sorry I dont understand. Are you saying not to use the capping and just fill in the chase with plaster?

Yes Ive dug out the plaster to the brick for the whole run (from box to floor) - A kitchen worktop will eventually sit halfway.[/b]

Plastering over the capping will hold it in place. But to stop it moving initially some form of glue could be used. Evostick, no more nails, B & Q grab adhesive to mention just three.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I don't understand. Are you saying not to use the capping and just fill in the chase with plaster?
Yes.

Capping is not required.
It is normally used when the cable is on the surface to hold it prior to plastering.

It may not be required, but is still a sensible extra. Belt & braces. Personally I would run oval plastic conduit. Makes it so much easier if you need to change the cable in future.

How far are the cables from the corner ? They appear to be too far from the corner to be consider as being in the "safe zone" for cables.

If there was a socket fed by the cables ( assuming it is a ring final or radial circuit ) then that socket would create the necessary safe zone for the cables.

normally to chase out at the width of the capping, not the cable.

Looks odd you holding it on the surface

Belt and braces for what purpose when neither is required?

Gives it additional protection from nails, drills etc. Hopefully one will stop when hitting metal. It also makes much easier to change the cable at a later date.
Plasterers trowel will not nick the cable when finishing off.

Gives it additional protection from nails, drills etc.
No, it doesn't.

Hopefully one will stop when hitting metal.
Your nails and drill bits aren't very good, then.

It also makes much easier to change the cable at a later date.
Capping doesn't much.
Your oval conduit will.

Plasterers trowel will not nick the cable when finishing off.
It is in a chase and can be filled before plastering.

normally to chase out at the width of the capping, not the cable.

Looks odd you holding it on the surface

Thanks - lots of replies!

Photo is slightly deceiving. Im holding it against the brick wall 'underneath' the level of plaster. The chase is slightly larger than the metal strip.

"How far are the cables from the corner ?" - About 10" or so. The cable was always there, on the surface of the tiled wall inside a square plastic conduit. All Ive done (apart from 100% gutting my kitchen) is putting the cable out of sight under the plaster.

Im still at a loss whether to put it in or just leave it for the plasterer to fill the chase. I seriously doubt it will offer any protection if you were to accidently bang a nail or drill into it. Its quite thin. I just thought that its more acceptable to have the cable covered over with something

"How far are the cables from the corner ?" - About 10" or so.
It should be within 6 inches of the corner unless you are going to fit an accessory (socket etc.) in line with it.

Im still at a loss whether to put it in or just leave it for the plasterer to fill the chase.
It's up to you. Just burying it in plaster is quite acceptable.

I seriously doubt it will offer any protection if you were to accidentally bang a nail or drill into it. Its quite thin.
Quite right.

I just thought that its more acceptable to have the cable covered over with something
Apparently plasterers are useless idiots who cannot plaster a wall without cutting cables with their treasured trowel.
So, again, it's up to you how you do it.

If I were you I would fill the chase before the plasterer comes.

you have done the hard work in chasing it out and cutting metal to length, you may as well fit it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back