exposed valley board failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ply of the valley board is rotting where it protrudes from the wall under the lead, due to the weather.
I did it this way to support the lead at the end of the valley to get the water to flow into the gutter.
I did not think the verge strip would be strong enough to support the lead.
So can someone advise on a solution for this please?
The verge strip is 150mm wide, I can use 300mm wide.

Attachments

• IMG_20240402_162718558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240402_162718558_HDR.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20240402_162736000_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240402_162736000_HDR.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20240402_162729934_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240402_162729934_HDR.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
The ply of the valley board is rotting where it protrudes from the wall under the lead, due to the weather.
I did it this way to support the lead at the end of the valley to get the water to flow into the gutter.
I did not think the verge strip would be strong enough to support the lead.
So can someone advise on a solution for this please?
The verge strip is 150mm wide, I can use 300mm wide.
Poor detailing.

In a situation like that, one should extend the bottom course of tiles so that you have full tiles beneath the valley exit. The lead should then finish slightly higher and lap on to the TOP of the bottom course of tiles.

As I understand it, you suggest to extend the undercloak and then to retile so the tiles extend further out from the wall?
From searching online the undercloak overhang is recommended to be no more than 50mm. Perhaps greater overhang is possible with 300m wide undercloak rather than the current 150mm? It would tend to sag with the weight of muck on it.
The pictures do not show the wall is not vertical and so there is 75mm undercloak overhang by the ridge tiles than the bottom of the valley (50mm).
It is not possible to add another course of tiles below the lowest one as a batten cannot be fixed in place.

Sponsored Links
There's a good solution already posted . Bottom course of tiles on the main roof extend past valley centre .
Cut valley board back .
Lead from valley would finish onto the top of that first course . Not under it . Verge could then be extended to suit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back