Ethernet Cable for Ring Doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used ethernet for powering a Ring doorbell?
Getting tired of constantly changing the batteries in mine. Despite it being a new house, no doorbell cabling was provided, and there are no power sockets by my front door so it would involve a lot of fishing cables round downstairs bathrooms to get a cable out.

I am thinking it might be easier to run an ethernet cable to the doorbell and stick a low volage transformer either in the loft or outside in a weatherproof box to take the 240 down to 12-20v whatever it needs. I happen to have a whole roll of weatherproof Cat7 ethernet lead going spare which I used for my CCTV so just wondering if anyone has used something like this to power a Ring and if so, how did you get on with the connections on the back? Is there much space to wire in the cables?

Sponsored Links
I have only ever fitted one.

The customer previously had a Banham intercom, so I used the wiring from that. The wiring entered from the rear, so I made the opening slightly larger to enable me to push the excess wiring in to the hole.

You don't get space in the actual doorbell for the excess wiring.

No reason why you can't use CAT7 but cheapo bell wire will suffice and takes up less space.

I have only ever fitted one.

The customer previously had a Banham intercom, so I used the wiring from that. The wiring entered from the rear, so I made the opening slightly larger to enable me to push the excess wiring in to the hole.

You don't get space in the actual doorbell for the excess wiring.

No reason why you can't use CAT7 but cheapo bell wire will suffice and takes up less space.
Thank you, that's really useful. Sounds like the doorbell housing may be an issue as I would be coming in with the cable from the sides rather than behind. I will have a look and see what I can do. Thanks for your post. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back