Energy Saving Bulbs

S

Shutpa

About 2 hours ago, this guy came to the door and asked if he could ask me the wattage of the bulb in our table lamp. I replied that it was a 100w and he then told me that if I used the bulb he had in his hand, then I would save 85% of the energy I used to light the living room. I took the bulb, said thank you and closed the door thinking that he would ring the bell and ask for his bulb back. He stood for a few seconds shaking his head and then walk off to his car, got another bulb and called at my next door neighbour.

The neighbour has just called in to say that nobody had kept the bulb before and it wasn't worth kicking up a fuss about.

Will I really save 85%?

Sponsored Links
You shoulda charged him for the electricity he used when ringing your doorbell.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that going green is the new religion, followed by people who need to follow something/anything.

I can buy a standard 40 watt bulb from Makro for 25p. Some energy efficient ones cost £5. If I buy the efficient one, I doubt whether I will save anything before it blows.

As for other more expensive green equipment like solar panels, the trouble is that they may save you a couple of hundred pounds a year, but cost thousands to install.

A lot of bull s**t is spoken about being green!

I'm afraid that going green is the new religion, followed by people who need to follow something/anything.

I can buy a standard 40 watt bulb from Makro for 25p. Some energy efficient ones cost £5. If I buy the efficient one, I doubt whether I will save anything before it blows.

As for other more expensive green equipment like solar panels, the trouble is that they may save you a couple of hundred pounds a year, but cost thousands to install.

A lot of bull s**t is spoken about being green!

morrisons normaly sell l/e bulbs for 40p but at the min they are 5 for 50p

Will I really save 85%?

nearer 75 to 80% savings 23w=100w 20=85w 18 =75w 16=70w 13=60w 11=45w 9=40w

all very approximate take your low energy bulb multiply by 4 add a little bit and thats your normal bulb equivilent brightness so you save over 75%

mmm why not!!!

i have measured the consumption off the bulbs by flow meter and they are as close to rated consumption as normal filliment bulbs

in general i rate then about 20% less than manufacturers for light out put

in other words they say 20w =100w i say nearer 85w

my house is fully low energy bulbs and all 18 bulbs are less than 250w when you have them all on at once

i may have say 6 on continuosly no more than 90w[ equivilent off 4 100w bulbs] and the house looks like a xmass tree l o l at the grand total off 10p for 11 hours instead of 45p

£35 a year instead off £150 so a saving off over £100!!!

"£35 a year instead off £150 so a saving off over £100!!! "
Thanks big-all. Your detailed explanation, and figures, have, I am sure, done more to help us DIYers than all the blurb which we get fired at us from the manufacturers and the media. I think that many cynics feel that the savings are only very marginal but, obviously, that is not the case.

there is also a tremendous convenience in not having to change bulbs often.

My hall and outdoor lamps on on every night, but last for years.

In some fittings where the lamp is exposed to the eye, I use the large globe CFLs, they are more expensive but look attractive and prevent glare.

Sponsored Links
Back