Drywall Screw Length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hopefully a very simple answer to this.
I need to Plasterboard a ceiling below a flat roof, in a newly built extension.

Currently have Insulation between the Joists & have screwed 30mm celotex under the joists & now need to fix the 12.5mm Plasterboard under the celotex.
What is the ideal Depth the screws should penetrate the joists in this situation, I was thinking 25mm?

So, 12.5 + 30 + 25 = 67.5mm

Looking around locally it seems you get either 65mm or 75mm, 65mm being very slightly under but 75mm possibly being over kill?

What would you use?
I have found you can get 70mm online if that's the ideal size?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you mean plasterboard over the celotex rather than under it. I would think 60 or 65mm would be more than enough given there will be many fixings

lol.. yeah Over the celotex (finished ceiling if you will).. but as it's a ceiling.. it's kinda 'under' it in my head lol

I just wasn't sure how far the screws should go into the wood being it's heavy plasterboard on a ceiling, don't want anything falling down.. but realistically the ceiling is just under 2m x 2.5m with a skylight in the middle.. so not that much board & plenty of joists to screw to.

So a 65mm screw will go 22.5mm into the timber joists.. gotta be fine.. surely

It used to be twice the depth of the fixing, I would use 70mm

Sponsored Links
It used to be twice the depth of the fixing, I would use 70mm
damn don't complicate things now lol..

Maybe i'll just order some 70mm & have done with it.
Just gotta hope i actually hit the joists/noggins' with the screws now they're covered in PIR.. hopefully i've marked the locations accurately enough on the walls all around (not easy to mark pebbledash!!)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back