drains running along proposed route for foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Despite similar posts I cant find one that informs me on my options with my problem.

I began to dig out the footings for an extension, along each wall (x3) rruns the drain. (i couldnt be worse if it was planned)_

I am unable to re route the drains on the outsiede of the extension as the proposed new bulidng line runs along the boundary line which itself is covered with a wall.

In the absense of building knowledge, hence this post, I have two options. run the drains on the inside of the building or reduce the size of the extension so that I can fit a new drain between the extension wall and the boundary line.

my preference is to run the drain inside the new builidng is this permitted?
are there any other optins?

thanks in advanace

Sponsored Links
Timmo said:
my preference is to run the drain inside the new builidng is this permitted?
Yes, but there are regulations (The Building Regulations) governing what you can and can't do. Some examples:

a) You can run a straight section of underground drainage between inspection chambers, which can themselves be inside if fitted with the correct type of frame and lid.

b) Where the pipe goes under a wall, you must prevent damage to it by installing adequate support above it.

c) Any underground drainage changes on your property are notifiable to, and subject to the approval of, your LABC.

Timmo said:
are there any other optins?
Er, I can't think of any options other than running inside or outside the wall. Unless you can run above floor level and box in the otherwise unsightly soil pipe?

If you ask your building inspector, then (1) he will probably have a suggestion, having come across this problem many times before, and (2) he will be less likely to be obstructive and make you knock the building down when he finds out.

You seem to have a very negative view of BCOs JohnD :confused:

Sponsored Links
not really "he will probably have a suggestion, having come across this problem many times before"

I mean, it's better to have people on your side from the start.

JohnD said:
not really "he will probably have a suggestion, having come across this problem many times before"

I mean, it's better to have people on your side from the start.
For one thing, I'm someone who doesn't subscribe to this idea that their are "sides. But mainly I was alluding to this comment:

JohnD said:
he will be less likely to be obstructive and make you knock the building down when he finds out.
Why would you suggest that a BCO might be obstructive if you don't have a negative view of them in general?

Other than that, your suggestion is a good one, i.e. that the Timmo consult the BCO for advice. His alternative is, of course, to ask an architect :eek:

Softus said:
Why would you suggest that a BCO might be obstructive if you don't have a negative view of them in general?

Not BCOs, people. If you get them on your side and ask their advice they are likely to be helpful; if you don't, or worse, try to keep them from finding out, they are likely not to be.

Yes?

thanks for the comments and apologies for not reponding, IT problems.,

for the record I did consult BCO, who were relaxed about the issue. She adivsed that. I can run the drain under a conrecte floor but will need to;

bed the drain in pea gravel
fit rodding points where there are 90deg bends

Once again tanks for the comments as usaul good advice.

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back