Drain question and Build Over Agreement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - appreciate any thoughts on this please:

Attached is the current layout of my property. The Orange line is where the back of my house was originally built to. The previous owner added the conservatory, utility and bathroom to the back (over 15 years ago). The blue square is where there is a manhole cover to the drains of the house.

I have applied (and been successfully granted) planning permission to extend the back wall of the conservatory to be in line with the back wall of the utility. The whole of the structure from the orange line going back will be re-done (i.e. new foundations, insulation, brick, etc.). Therefore, I will be building on top of the current drain access, which means I will need to move the drain access to be outside of the new dwelling (i.e. further into the garden).

Attached are pictures of what it looks like inside the drain (blue square). As you can see, the drain is running away from the house and into the garden. Where this drain leads to... I do not know. The drain pipe is 85cm below the ground level and the pipe itself is just over 10cm in diameter.

Here is my predicament:
I believe I may need a Build Over Agreement (BOA) with Thames Water. What is annoying is that for me to be certain, I think I need to do a drains survey (over £600!) so I can see where all the drains are on my property. In addition to this, I will also need more architectural drawings showing the plan of my current drainage system and what it'll look like after my extension is built (thus even more costs) which I need to send to Thames Water with my BOA application (which is another fee). If it turns out that my new foundations will be built within 1 metre of a public lateral drain, I'll need to put special foundations to protect the pipes (which will be even more expensive!)

Is my thinking above correct? Do I qualify for the self certification (I don't think I do?) Should I be doing anything differently so I'm not spending thousands of £ more than I need to?!

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-27 221015.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 221015.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 35
  • d1b1fa4d-d45d-4f71-9522-c72573e60237.jpg
    d1b1fa4d-d45d-4f71-9522-c72573e60237.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 65a4ce6e-c590-4a35-8ad7-f3b7c44e9c29.jpg
    65a4ce6e-c590-4a35-8ad7-f3b7c44e9c29.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 27886a97-67bd-4434-865e-a364fa2bf2fd.jpg
    27886a97-67bd-4434-865e-a364fa2bf2fd.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 21
  • d2424bb8-f7d4-4aca-b029-d3f1ac39afd4.jpg
    d2424bb8-f7d4-4aca-b029-d3f1ac39afd4.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
To be clear, the drain is for my foul water and is only from my property. From the pics, you'll also see another pipe which is much closer to the ground level, which is water from roof gutters.

To be clear, the drain is for my foul water and is only from my property. From the pics, you'll also see another pipe which is much closer to the ground level, which is water from roof gutters.
It’s not a public drain then.

No build over agreement needed

You just need to do the work compliant with building regs

It’s not a public drain then.

No build over agreement needed

You just need to do the work compliant with building regs
Thank you... sorry, but there's one more thing I forgot to mention...

My building control sent me an email (which was forwarded on from Thames Water) saying "Your client requires a build over agreement before commencing works, because we believe the proposed development is within 3 metres of a public sewer (of which, the internal diameter is less than or equal to 150mm)."

This may be correct as there may be a lateral flow drain that collects all the private drains waste water that will be within 3m of my new foundations. But no-one actually knows until I start the work and do the digging.

Sponsored Links
Thank you... sorry, but there's one more thing I forgot to mention...

My building control sent me an email (which was forwarded on from Thames Water) saying "Your client requires a build over agreement before commencing works, because we believe the proposed development is within 3 metres of a public sewer (of which, the internal diameter is less than or equal to 150mm)."

This may be correct as there may be a lateral flow drain that collects all the private drains waste water that will be within 3m of my new foundations. But no-one actually knows until I start the work and do the digging.
ah so you dont need a build over agreement for the manhole and drains for your extension

but you do need a builder over agreement -which is badly named it should be a "build near agreement"

you should be able to self certify unless the public sewer is bigger than 300mm or over 3 metres deep

drain maps are notoriously wrong, so you might not have any drains nearby

But no-one actually knows until I start the work and do the digging.
if the drain is very deep, digging wont help you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back