Door to door - Charity chuggers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sign on the gate says 'no chuggers' and 'dog lose', which keeps them away. Except Avril happened to appear at the front, to water some plants, just after they had gone past. So they do an about turn, to try to engage her in conversation, towards signing up for a donation - me listening just out of sight, around the corner. She was trying to politely get rid of them, which wasn't working, so I appeared and shouted a loud 'no thanks'.

When will people learn these people are not doing this for nothing, primarily they are doing it for themselves, with a small donation going to the charity they claim to be representing. There is no need for politeness, just say 'no thanks', walk away, and cut any further discussion off at a stroke.

Sponsored Links
I feel that ‘charity’ is something we're suppose to do freely of our own accord , and usually very personal what we support, if we feel strongly towards a charity then we shouldn’t need sales techniques to support it.

I say I'll never give my bank details to anyone....but I may donate via a rattle can if I feel like it.
Chuggers are detestable and often put people in a difficult situation. They should be outlawed and the banks should warn people about them.
John

Sponsored Links
If you're in the house and answer to them, say this:

Sorry, I don't live here
or
I'm just the handyman
or
I'm just the cleaner

If you're in the garden, say this:

I'm just the gardener
or
sorry, no English speak

I used to 'shake a rattle can' for the RNLI in the 1970's. I have 2 lasting memories from that; by being friendly and not 'pushy' the can weighed in heavier at the end of the day and, as a late teenager/young adult male, how many teenage girls liked having the RNLI sticker applied to them...

Today, whilst I'll donate to select charities (DDRC, Prostrate, breast Cancer, Air Ambulance) I'll not set up any form of regular scheme. I'm very wary of giving my details to charities for that reason.

They’re not chuggers, they’re chunts!
Today, whilst I'll donate to select charities (DDRC, Prostrate, breast Cancer, Air Ambulance) I'll not set up any form of regular scheme. I'm very wary of giving my details to charities for that reason.
We have standing orders for cancer research and St Francis hospice and make the odd one-off if we see something that touches us. We did used to have a standing order for Battersea dogs home but they kept pestering us to up the monthly donation. I told them if they bothered me one more time I’d stop the monthly payment. They still bothered me so I cancelled that donation.

I've no idea what 'no chuggers' means and a 'dog lose' would only make me wish i'd got a marker pen handy.

i just say "i dont have a bank account "after saying heeelllooo without any conversation

I like to shock chuggers. One came up to me in the street couple of months ago from NSPCC with her spiel. Said "sorry, I can't stand kids" (not entirely untrue), she laughed nervously and beat a hasty retreat.

I like to shock chuggers. One came up to me in the street couple of months ago from NSPCC with her spiel. Said "sorry, I can't stand kids" (not entirely untrue), she laughed nervously and beat a hasty retreat.
chuggers are paid employees [somthing i think is very very wrong for a charity] who need a bank account to earn there commission, hence my "i dont have a bank account comment" so they loose interest instantly as not an earner :unsure:

A customer of mine used to have a job of running chuggers all over the country when the charity they worked for (which is still going) got the 'rights' to collect in certain supermarkets/shopping centres. He told me that some of the chuggers had their own tins/buckets (ones supplied by the charity were security sealed). He also had the job of banking the takings. He said he rarely banked any silver or notes - always coppers.

A customer of mine used to have a job of running chuggers all over the country when the charity they worked for (which is still going) got the 'rights' to collect in certain supermarkets/shopping centres. He told me that some of the chuggers had their own tins/buckets (ones supplied by the charity were security sealed). He also had the job of banking the takings. He said he rarely banked any silver or notes - always coppers.
I confirm this to be true.
I also have a friend employed by a charity.
She's now been promoted to a £90k/year job.

Chuggers coming to my door always find the builder (me).
They must've worked out that it's a pi$$ take because I haven't had any in a long time.

Sponsored Links
Back