Domestic Gas pipe depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Was looking for some advice. Had an accident at work recently where I hit a gas pipe with a nail in a customers living room. The pipe was around 3 or 4mm below the screed in the floor.

After a little bit of searching the web I think I am right in saying the pipe should have been below at least 25mm of screed? What I basically wanted to know is if this is a guideline or a regulation and also if there is anywhere "official" that states this regulation (if it is one)? I'll need something concrete to go back to my customer with..

I'm more than happy to pay if the accident was my fault but I'm fairly sure it shouldn't have been so close to the surface..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

Sponsored Links
So many of these things are just best practice and not enforceable regulations.

Lets see if anyone else can find any regulation but I suspect not.

Regardless we are tested on these best practice figures which are often incorporated into British Standards but they are not the law.

Tony

The depth should be 25mm of coverage above it but what reg covers it i am not sure i would check in BS6891 which covers domestic pipework and gas regs from section 18 to 24

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone..

How long was the nail?
Hi fireman

Nails are 16mm. But they go through the gripper first which would be about 7mm thick? So around 9mm would have gone into the floor if that makes sense.

hi gas112
Excuse my ignorance but what is BS6891?

L56 gas installations and use regulations

Reg 7(1) Any person installing a gas fitting shall ensure that it is properly supported and so placed or protected as to avoid any undue risk of damage to the fitting.

Guidance note 132 Gas fittings should be installed in accordance with appropriate standards.

Appropriate standard is BS6891-2008 (British standard for domestic as pipework)

Minimum depth of cover as recommended by the above document is 25mm

Regards.

L56 gas installations and use regulations

Reg 7(1) Any person installing a gas fitting shall ensure that it is properly supported and so placed or protected as to avoid any undue risk of damage to the fitting.

Guidance note 132 Gas fittings should be installed in accordance with appropriate standards.

Appropriate standard is BS6891-2008 (British standard for domestic as pipework)

Minimum depth of cover as recommended by the above document is 25mm

Regards.

Many thanks for the reply U6. Is there anywhere online I can view this info? I tried a quick google but couldn't come up with anything..

*edited* I'm on a goverment legislation website which has theProtection against damage bit, But I cant see anything about the 25mm?

7. (1) Any person installing a gas fitting shall ensure that it is properly supported and so placed or protected as to avoid any undue risk of damage to the fitting.

It's for the company that I sub contract to. I'm trying to prove the blame is not all my fault.. Especially as the customer told me it was safe to nail in that area. Then drops me off a bill for nearly £300 which to me sounds a little steep

The 25mm is shown in BS6891 page 18 figure 5

Message me your email and I'll send you the document.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back