Do I need an architect for this extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to get opinions on if I need an architect, or an architectural technician for my proposed extension.

The house is a 1930's detached very typical of many houses built in the interwar period between 1920 and 1938.

This picture is not the actual house but you get the general idea. Bays front and back, hipped roof, chimneys etc.

1711469604599.png

I want to extend the rear of the house to enlarge the kitchen and make improvements to the lean to down the side of the house. I plan to extend 4 meters from the back of the kitchen (maybe 5 metres with neighbour consultation). The roof could be flat with a lantern or maybe pitched. It is a "box" on the back of the house that will not be visible from the front. The look should fit with the existing property and I am not really looking for any particular flare or grand design.

I may consider extending into the loft which would entail a rear facing dormer.

My question: do I need an architect for this project, or would an architectural technician be able to draw up the plans?

Architects fees are coming in at more than £3000 + VAT. They also offer an additional service to manage the planning application but I am reasonably certain I can do the work under permitted development and obtain a lawful development certificate. Some architects have also added on additional fees as a percentage of the total build cost to inspect the build at the end. Apparently this is now a requirement to show that what was drawn was actually built, but not all architects have said this is required.

What could an architect bring to the project that the technician could not?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
do I need an architect for this project, or would an architectural technician be able to draw up the plans?
the latter

you need both planning and building regs drawings

and make sure you get a technician who can advice on foundations and drains -you ideally want bespoke details, not generic cut n paste details drawings which say "foundation to be 1 metre or to building inspector specification" -make sure you ask about soil type and influence of trees, drains etc. Dont get a nasty surprise when the builder starts

Apparently this is now a requirement to show that what was drawn was actually built
not heard of that -Id be interested to have that confirmed by a professional on here

Sponsored Links
not heard of that -Id be interested to have that confirmed by a professional on here

I was told there was a change coming into law later this year where by the person who drew the plans had to ensure that what was built matched the plans. RIBA were advising members to charge a 1% fee of total project costs to cover this work. The architect I spoke to said that this fee would go towards his time and the increase in his insurance premiums for working on site.

I should add that I have spoken to 3 or 4 architects and only one mentioned this change.

I was told there was a change coming into law
What, a specific law? Don't think so.

Architects are only useful if you want a truly non-standard or arty design.

They add no value to run-of-mill extensions, in terms their addition fees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back