Diagonal bracing in same direction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing diagonal bracing on my small (3.5m span, but 6.0m wide) attic trusses, and I've found that I can't get the last one in as my existing house is in the way. I was wondering whether they need to alternate between up-down, and down-up, or whether two can go in the same direction?

I'm thinking of having it looking like / \ \ , but maybe it needs to be / \ / :?:

I was originally planning to do / \ / \ , but I found that only 3 were needed.

Sponsored Links
We're you not supplied with a bracing diagram by the truss builder?

I'm doing diagonal bracing on my small (3.5m span, but 6.0m wide) attic trusses, and I've found that I can't get the last one in as my existing house is in the way. I was wondering whether they need to alternate between up-down, and down-up, or whether two can go in the same direction?

I'm thinking of having it looking like / \ \ , but maybe it needs to be / \ / :?:

I was originally planning to do / \ / \ , but I found that only 3 were needed.
Are you taking the bracing down to the wall plate, or are you leaving them short an fixing ply bracing on the slopey bits instead?

Sponsored Links
Use a ply gusset where you are restricted.
I was going to do that originally, but noticed something that meant I couldn't do it. IIRC there is a minimum size. I want to ply/osb it anyway, but I think I still need the diagonal bracing.

If I had started from the other end then it would have been ok as the house is only on one side. I don't really want to remove what I've done so far.

I was going to do that originally, but noticed something that meant I couldn't do it. IIRC there is a minimum size. I want to ply/osb it anyway, but I think I still need the diagonal bracing.

If I had started from the other end then it would have been ok as the house is only on one side. I don't really want to remove what I've done so far.
The DB only needs extend as far as the vaulted but not passed, as long as you fix ply to the slopey bits.
I think summation like 12mm will do. You need to take into account insulation and electrics prior to fixing the ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back