Damp fence on patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice

We had this fence installed on top of patio tiles. As it’s directly in contact with the patio when it rains the slats get damp at the bottom. Pic attached

Im worried they will rot. So would you advise trimming the bottom centimetre or so off each one? (They are separate individual vertical planks) Or will it not make much difference and not worth it?

If you would recommend it what tool would you use to get in such a tight space? My electric saw wouldn’t get close enough to the ground

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_4990.jpeg
    IMG_4990.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
You could do this with a multi-tool. There might be a better tool than that, but I can't think of one.
Before cutting any of them, you could remove a few entirely and re-attach them slightly higher up and see if they dry out. But I am pretty sure that not being in contact with the ground will improve the longevity of your fence.

detach and refit perhaps 30mm higher is the simplest answer
you really want to avoid touching the end especially when wet as it can take a week or so to dry after the surface looks dry

How is the framework attached to the posts?

Are the posts wooden?

How does water drain off the paving?

What is the height of the ground on the other side of the fence?

Sponsored Links
You could do this with a multi-tool. There might be a better tool than that, but I can't think of one.
Before cutting any of them, you could remove a few entirely and re-attach them slightly higher up and see if they dry out. But I am pretty sure that not being in contact with the ground will improve the longevity of your fence.
Thanks for that, I could probably do with buying a multi tool for other things too so sounds like it could be a worthwhile buy

detach and refit perhaps 30mm higher is the simplest answer
you really want to avoid touching the end especially when wet as it can take a week or so to dry after the surface looks dry
If I was a bit more confident and capable I’d take off and refit but I don’t think I’d do it without stressing out. But good flag about waiting for a prolonged dry spell (not now) to do any cutting

How is the framework attached to the posts?

Are the posts wooden?

How does water drain off the paving?

What is the height of the ground on the other side of the fence?
They are nailed in.
Wooden posts
Water drains to the left of the picture of the front of the patio
Ground level is a foot lower the other side of the fence

What do you reckon John?

If the water is draining off, the wood is surprisingly wet. Does it puddle, or does rain run onto the paving?

If your posts are wooden, and buried in damp ground, they will rot and break off in some years.

I was thinking if the frame of horizontal rails was bolted or bracketed to the posts, you could undo them and jack the whole structure up a bit before bolting back onto the posts. But it would be difficult to remove nails without damaging the boards.

Was the fence installed before or after the patio?
Any professional fence installer would know that timber in contact with the ground has a much shorter life. If they installed it that way, I suggest you ask them to come back and rectify it!

If the water is draining off, the wood is surprisingly wet. Does it puddle, or does rain run onto the paving?

If your posts are wooden, and buried in damp ground, they will rot and break off in some years.

I was thinking if the frame of horizontal rails was bolted or bracketed to the posts, you could undo them and jack the whole structure up a bit before bolting back onto the posts. But it would be difficult to remove nails without damaging the boards.

Thanks - It does drain off ok, maybe slower than it should but it does, one or two small puddles but not near the fence. Yeh can't be taking them off

Was the fence installed before or after the patio?
Any professional fence installer would know that timber in contact with the ground has a much shorter life. If they installed it that way, I suggest you ask them to come back and rectify it!
The same builder laid the patio and then installed the fence on top. Unfortunately it was 2 and a half years ago, I just haven't got round to thinking about it until now, so I've got no chance of getting him back to sort. Thoughts on me having a hack at it with multi-tool?

Schoolboy error this - are you sure they were a builder not a bodger?

Definitely have a go with a multi tool so there's an air gap and this will also prevent capillary action too.

You could do it with a hand saw or a reciprocating saw.

Probably finer teeth would be less likely to tear and split the boards.

A few inches will be better for reducing rain splash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back