Cost of new CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be a guide price to replace my board with 6 x RCB's?

We rent the house out and the young mother of one is unable to change the old fuse wire setup...

cheers

T

Sponsored Links
sorry moderator... (actually I hi-jacked it earlier in the thread than this! :(

current old fuse box has 6 x wire fuses, 2 x 5amp, 1 x 15amp and 3 x 30amp.

don't really know what is needed but renter wants switched units not wire!

thanks

TT

As a very rough guide, say 250-500quid depending on where in the country you are, how busy the spark is, what remedial work needs done etc.

Sponsored Links
As a very rough guide, say 250-500quid depending on where in the country you are, how busy the spark is, what remedial work needs done etc.

I'd work to the assumption that the gas and water will need a 10mm earth bond which will add cost.

Best way forward is a PIR which will indicate the extent of the works required. The inspection will carry out tests which will allow you to know if wiring, switches and sockets need attention.

The wired fuse age is 30+ years gone, so the CU might not be the only cost.

Adding a new CU with RCD's could prevent circuits from working that work on the old wired fuses. Shared neutrals or faulty / aged cabling won't allow an RCd or RCBO to work.

An analogy would be that adding a new engine to an MOT body failure is neither prudent or sensible.

What make is the existing comsumer unit? You may be able to get plug-in MCBs for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back