Correct method to repair badly cracked painted ceiling - cold exposure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to finally get round to repairing and painting our bedroom ceiling 10ft x 15ft, which has peeled quite badly in places over the years. I'd say they cover around 50% of the ceiling. I'm pretty sure this is mainly due to the very cold winter temperatures we can get in Norway. Which the room is exposed to during nights as my wife insists on having a window open..

Here's some photos.
IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

I've been watching a few YouTube videos on the subject and a few threads here and the general consensus seems to be that going over the entire ceiling with a scraper to remove loose paint then going over this with some sort of filler is the way to go? Here's one of the videos.

I thought I'd ask here though to get some more advice on the subject. Specifically, if what I've been watching is applicable in my case? Is this the approved method? Should a specific filler and paint be used which can better withstand extreme temperature changes? Something that will stretch and not crack?

Any advice on this subject would be much appreciated. Any specific products to use would also be really useful.

Sponsored Links
Scrape off.
Old emulsion under. Bit powdery?
Here we use gardz to penetrate as and bind surface.
Make good with filler and paint.
Get up in loft and add more insulation so the ceiling dont get cold which will reduce or even stop condensation forming on the surface.

Or fit plastic panels to ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back