Cooker Hood No Power

Fuses can and do fail when they are old, or in the case of the cooker hood if a halogen bulb blew

Pop a 3A in and see what happens

Sponsored Links
As a general rule, fit the lowest amperage fuse, which doesn't blow in normal use. 3amp, should be OK.

Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise a 13 A fuse would protect the lead from the FCU to the fan against short circuits perfectly fine and everything else should be taken care of inside the fan unit. You can of course fit the smallest fuse necessary for the running and startup current of the fan motor, which is probably 3 A. I'd consider the fuse size in this application more of a matter of personal taste unless there are specific requirements in the manual.

So I fitted a new 3a fuse and cleaned out the carbon filters that were on either side of the motors. They're currently drying, so I thought I'd check the fan out... the first thing I noticed is that it appears the fan is blowing air from one side (about half the fan) and about a third blowing on the other side.

I think I read somewhere that sometimes this is a circulation setting when fitted with carbon filters? Does anyone know how to change this to extract, or have any views on this is more effective?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
5A better if you have two fans connected as spotted above.
Fan start up can cause high current, until they get going.

You'll probably find, when you get it going, that one of the lamps has popped. That will probably be what blew the fuse in the first place.

5A better if you have two fans connected as spotted above.
Fan start up can cause high current, until they get going.

You'll probably find, when you get it going, that one of the lamps has popped. That will probably be what blew the fuse in the first place.
Yes indeed - one of the lights has gone!

Do you have any idea on what the fan may be blowing air?

Anyone have any views in why there is a secondary fan within the ducting that can be switched on and off and whether this would provide any real advantage in turning it on?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back