can you shed some light on a insulating a darkroom in a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a new member here, but have been a DIYer for a while. My newest project is a conversion of the shed into a darkroom. I need to keep the shed at a constant temperature all year round, and therefore am looking into some form of air conditioner. In order to make the air conditioner more effective, I reckon that I am gonna need to do plenty of insulating, something which I know nothing about (my DIY involves wood, metal and electrickery normally). I was wondering if any of you may be able to help me with the right choice of insulation for a shed that doesn't get too cold in winter, but gets very warm in the summer. The temperature needs to be kept at around 22 degrees. Being a darkroom, opening the door is not an option, so the shed will be completely closed to the outside world most of the time. I will need to put in some light proof, and dust proof(?!?) vents also, in case you have any suggestions. I hope that you may be able to help.
Cheers
Lee
:)

Sponsored Links
I assume that you've done the insulation by now. As for ventilation, why not just fit an extractor fan or two. If you're worried about light ingress through the fan, simply get a rectangular washing up bowl (idealy a nice dark brown one), cut off one of the side walls and then fix the bowl to the outside of the shed wall by screws through the rim to cover the vent opening. Obviously the missing side of the bowl should be at the bottom to prevent rainwater collection.

You may want to spray the inside of the bowl with a mat black paint first to stop reflected light straying into the vent and it might be a good idea to put some brown mastic around the joint to be sure.

If you don't want an unsightly washing up bowl on display you could put it on the inside of the wall to cover the vent. If you do this the opening should be angled away from your work area to reduce the impact of any reflected light.

As for the insulation, there are obviously a thousand and one methods available, but you've probably got that worked out by now.

have a bash made 7 posts in total, 6 on the 30th may and one on the 31st, doubt if you will get a reply, but here s to hoping (but dont hold your breath)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back