Boiler problem: Gloworm B50. Heat exchanger and pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. I had a problem with my boiler (still do). It is a Gloworm B50. Every time we had heating on and hot water, after a short while there was a massive noise, which was quite scary, and after investigating, water shot out of a pipe and into a tank which is in our cupboard, high up, in our back bedroom. This was followed by a then rushing sound, like water was being drawn into the other pipe from the tank. Anyhow, this cycle was continuous. I asked a plumber friend of mine and he believed it was a boiler stat faulty as the symptoms pointed to this. But he doesn't touch boilers and gave me a number of a corgi plumber who came round. Apart from this fault the pilot light also went out and I could not respark it, it would not hold.
The corgi plumber came round and said it was not the boiler stat but the heat exchanger. He re-lit the pilot using a match but said not to let it go out as it would be hard to re-light again. He put liquid from a container into the tank and said leave it in for 4 weeks to circulate then drain it out, and he showed me how to do this. The problem is not as bad as it was, is still there though, but I am puzzled as he was very vague. I am scared to drain the system as if the pilot goes out again I may be buggered.

My point i'd like to ask is-if the pilot goes out again, how do i relight it like he did, I cannot remember exactly what he did. If the liquid does not cure the problem fully, will i need a new heat exchanger and if so, how can i tell i the heat exchanger is the 100% cause. I am a bit puzzled.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back