Am I supporting this wall ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On removing the facings from utility room door I found that the top of the door frame was rotten and was the only thing there for support as there is no steel/concrete lintel above.

Being that the door is only 6 foot tall and I'd prefer not to bang My head off it every time, I decided when replacing the door frame I'd take it up a couple of bricks to give some extra height.

I've fitted a small beam above the work area temporarily to prevent any bricks there coming loose, raked the joints of the bricks above the door and fitted props/strong-boys. Just wanting to see that you agree the location of them is suitable before I remove the door frame and a few layers of bricks.

Ive got an L shaped steel lintel coming as well to wedge in to give some extra support before fitting new frame, theres not a lot above as you can see weight wise, just preffer the belts and braces approach.

IMG_7747.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

IMG_7750.JPG

IMG_7751.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7756.JPG

Sponsored Links
Your "small beam" is not needed.
The Strongboys are in good positions.
Remove all the exterior frame and all the other woodwork - dont leave any in the masonry.
Treat the exposed brickwork with anti-fungal chemicals.
Your angle iron lintel will work - there's very little to support.
Chisel out a lintel seat/pocket on the main house wall.
Whats the condition of the wood threshold in the doorway? Any doubts ref decay then skip it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back