Alarm courses and installer lists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to generate more custom by getting on various installer lists and I am interested in getting training/ registered with an alarms company.
Who is one of the bigger alarm companies that might run a register of installers?
Thanks

PS. Also any info on data networking courses.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
Mike2007 said:
Who is one of the bigger alarm companies that might run a register of installers?

none, why should they

Because there are manufacturers that do run courses on their products and have lists of installers that meet their criteria. Thus "joe" that works in Cornwall, Newcastle, Kent or where ever would prefer to install their kit as its easier to use the system you know!

doesnt work like that.

manufacturers do run courses for their kit, they teach the engineers of the company who are going to install it.

Whatss the point of company A buying a xcv* and getting some one else to install it?

What happens when the xcv goes wrong, or needs servicing?

why pay someone else to do it when the manufatcures training is free? so they get their own engineers trained.

I spoke to some one on Thursday, I asked does he know " a person" he said yes, "a person" now works for ~~~~~~~~~ as a trainer / trouble shooter for ~~~~~~~~~ company and their product, the training is free.

* I just made that one up for example purposes

Sponsored Links
no one.

they don't retail the alarms, they install them themselves.

biggest ones must be (in alphabetical order)

ADT

Chubb

Secom

Shorrocks

no sarcasm intended, (although it does sound like it :cry: ) not off to a good start are you?, you don't know the big alarm companies, and you dont know how training is done.

what exactly are you trying to do / achive ( i may be able to offer better advice/ point you in the right direction)

I was interested in domestic alarms and installing them, maybe not mentioning this has made my post confusing.
The names in your list are names I would instantly associate with commercial installations although not just that.
If its just a case of if you don't install alarms now and you are not part of a company that does, then you can't? Then I would question this.
As for my questions, this is a forum for such questions. When someone asks a question its because they don't know, once you tell me I know!
If you don't want to divulge information on the alarm industry then please skip my thread

as i said, i didn't mean it to sound sarcastic

and as i also said "what exactly are you trying to do / achive ( i may be able to offer better advice/ point you in the right direction)"

now we are getting some where

you may be surpised to know that the big companies i have mentioned DO install alarms in domestic premises, ADT being the most common one, though it varies from area to area, next time you go out anywhere, have a look and see whos alarms you see most of and where. ie domestic or commercial

so i take it that after all this you want to install alarms in domestic premises?

Then why did you say so in the first place.

Its actually very easy.

you find some one who wants an alarm, you go to the wholesalers buy it and install it. Please cointinue to read.

it really is that simple, however the problem is that if the person you are installing it for wants / needs it for insurance reasons then you are stuffed.:cry:

(if its not for insurance reasons then no problem, but these are getting fewer and fewer) but you must still install it to the latest European regs

insurance companies will only accept an alarm that is installed by a company who have met certain criteia (not 100% sure what all the crieria are to be honest)
one of which is to be registered with an aproved body such as nacoss

Nacoss will only let you register if you have 300 (i think) or more installations.

All alarms must be installed to the latest european regs

all alarms must be serviced at regular intervals 6 or 12 months depending on if bells only or not

To have it call out the police (via an ARC) you have to be Nacoss registered or similar (see above criteria)

There are thousands of small companies all plying for business it is very competative

Because of the thousands of small compaies that there are, the monopolies commision are not worried about ADT being so big (so ADT do not there fore hold the monopoly)

In short you have 2 options

start on your own

go and work for an alarm company

Your idea of a particular manufacturere asking you to install alarms in a specific area is not a good one, but i now see what you were thinking.

When you go to the wholesalers you will find an araay of kit from different manufactureres none of them (AFAIK) actaully make cable
the biggest alarm cable maker is CQR so you could buy a panel from comany A, detectors from comany B external sounders form company C Batteries from Yuasa (the best) and cable from CQR not to mention the cable clips from Tower.

anything else i can help you with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back