AEG ELECTRIC OVEN DOOR WILL NOT UNLOCK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AEG Electric oven will not unlock its door after a pyrolitic cleaning cycle.

It tries to unlock and makes a clicking noise at top left corner but does not unlock.

The oven is only about 8 months old but owner seems to have lost all her paperwork. So should be covered by warranty.

But what can be done to unlock it when the built in lock tries and fails?

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that it can only remain locked if there was power running to the device, but I am only guessing.

Have you tried to turn the power off?

Sponsored Links
So how can it be unlocked?
Screenshot_20240410-155532_Chrome.jpg

Yes, but I have done that and it tries to unlock but just makes this clicking noise from top left and does not unlock!

Turning the power off just make it go silent and remain locked!

If you push the door closed firmly, or wiggle/rattle it while it is making its clicking sound, does it release?

I'm wondering if the lock mechanism has stuck through friction that the unlock solenoid isn't powerful enough to overcome.. like when you park a car and the steering springs against the steering lock so hard you have to turn the wheel a bit to free up the pressure on the locking mechanism to get it to unlock

Failing that you may well be looking at disassembling the oven to find out what has gone wrong with the lock, eg some link rod between solenoid and lock mech becoming detached

I have tried all combinations of pushing and pulling to no effect.

Yes that seems to be the problem.

But to repair it I need to find out how to manage to open the locked door!

There must be a solution that their warrantee fixers use to open it to repair under the warrantee.

Looking at the drawings I linked to you would need to remove the top and rear covers

Yes, but it is built in to a fitted kitchen and I assume fixings to that are hidden behind the front door!

If it is similar to the following AEG oven, use a filler knife to open the door.

Edit------ when the unit is shipped, AEG have a plastic insert that prevents the lock mechanism from engaging. The link above states that the insert can be put back in later if required (to open the door).

Last edited:
Yes, but it is built in to a fitted kitchen and I assume fixings to that are hidden behind the front door!
Sorry never thought of that but they are not always screwed in worth having a check if it will just slide out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back