A science puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got this heat pad thats full of cold liquid. You have to click this metal disk inside it and the liquid starts to turn into crystals and heat up! To re-use you heat it in boiling water and it turns back into liquid ready to use again, with just a click of this metal disk!! Its like a magic trick! Anyone got any ideas how it works or what its made of? It fascinates me every time I use it, but I have an inquisitive mind and like to know how everything works! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Magic heating pads contain sodium acetate and water.
sodium acetate is very good at supercooling. It "freezes" at 130 degrees F or 54 degrees C, but it is happy to exist as a liquid at a much lower temperature and is extremely stable. Clicking the disk, however, has the ability to force a few molecules to flip to the solid state, and the rest of the liquid then rushes to solidify as well. The temperature of the solidifying liquid jumps up to 130 degrees F or 54 degrees C in the process.
When you boil the solid you melt it back to the liquid state. You have to completely melt every crystal or the liquid will quickly re-solidify. You can repeat this cycle thousands of times, just as you can freeze and melt water as many times as you like.

Was that a clever answer then ?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The 'clever bit was using 'google' to search for 'heat pad' which landed me here :- http://www.nahpco.com/how_does_it_work.htm

Hokay ;) ;)

The really clever bit was using google and actually getting the results you wanted! :LOL:

We continue in our attempts to communicate .... shooting the Breeze (when possible?).

Sponsored Links
And you sounded soooo intelligent!! ;) I think i am going to learn that so I can wow everyone with my knowledge!!
Have you found a web site that tells you 'what came first chicken or the egg??' Or 'why men have nipples??', or 'what came first soil or plants??'...my list could go on...I have a very derranged mind!!

Yup !! All done and dusted, but not telling !!

Hope you do not run of years during the search !!

It has been said, in conclusion, hereabouts, ".......And the rest is history" probably correct.

P

Men have nipples because male and female embryos are identical in the early stages of their development.
If the foetus gets a Y chromosome from its Dad, a male results. Otherwise a girl develops.

So, the nipples have already appeared before the Y chromosome turns up.

Fascinating stuff, eh?

See www.007b.com/breastfeeding_sexual.php for an unbelievable story about breastfeeding.

securespark said:
Men have nipples because male and female embryos are identical in the early stages of their development.
If the foetus gets a Y chromosome from its Dad, a male results.

And that is the same reason a scr*tum looks like it has been sewn together down the middle... It actually has!

What surprises me is the number of people who have 3 or 4 nipples. Although what they class as a nipple is barely more than a freckle. Basically seems to be that if you have a freckle within 6 inches of your pectorals it MUST be a nipple! In fact I know a bloke who was in his 50s before he found out he had 4 nipples, he had a medical and the doctor remarked on it.

Oh, and did you know that it is possible to have not just XX and XY, but also XXY and even XYY and many other combinations? Now, one in 1000 boys are born with such a combination. Do you know what proportion of prison inmates have one of these combinations? One in 30! It doesn't necessarily make you a criminal, but people born this way often suffer from depression, low self esteem and lower-than average intelligence.

securespark said:
See www.007b.com/breastfeeding_sexual.php for an unbelievable story about breastfeeding.

That is insane! What next, are they going to arrest every person above the age of 13 for an obscene act... after all, one uses one's hand, thus it MUST be sexual anatomy. Therefore by showing one's hands in public, you MUST be being obscene!

Quite frankly there is only one course of action for this. I am going to start a charity to raise enough money to pay the Napolean Tango-man to fly out to Texas and slap every single person involved with a big wet orange hand.

:LOL:

Going back to nipples, a relative who shall remain anon went to the quack with a mole and was told it was a nipple, but this is on her belly.

Well, pigs have 6, why not humans?

Funny thing is, if you touch the mole, it makes her feel good IYKWIM....

Excellent!!

IYKWIM? Dunno that one!

I Yearn to Kiss Women In the Mouth? :D

So, what are the laws on sunbathing if you have a nipple on your stomach? Are bikinis illegal unless it is a topless beach? :D

Is a nipple possible on your face I wonder (not someone else's, as in a superfluous one!) Come on, there's a prize of a free emoticon for the person who can give us the furthest pectoral-nipple distance.

Sponsored Links
Back