Computer shutting off randomly

Discussion in 'Computers' started by LukeP, 13 Aug 2017.

1. LukeP

Thanks Received:
    United States
    So my PC has been shutting down on me recently. Doesn't seem to care what time a day or what I am doing.
    I went through everything and nothing seems to be triggering it. Most days it is okay but then it will decide to shut itself down 2 or 3 times in a row.

What can this be?

2. LillyDIY

Thanks Received:
    United States
    Sounds like it could be the power supply. I would maybe do some testing for that. A lot of times older power supplies just kind of wonk out.
    Other than that, have you done any updates or added new programs to your computer recently?

3. Chester12

Thanks Received:
    United States
    I was going to bring up updates. Something happened with my PC a few years ago when I tried updating it from Windows 7. It wouldn't stay on. I come to find out it was a setting issue.
    I had to turn off the power saving option and it was fine. Check that. See if turning that off makes a difference for the heck of it.

4. BradTheGeek

Thanks Received:
    United States
    20 Year IT expert here. You do not mention it, but I am assuming you are on Windows and get no blue screen error (BSOD) when it shuts down. You can check Reliability History to see if there are errors logged, but if I am correct there was no blue screen you probably won't find much.

Most software errors that cause a reboot will cause a BSOD, so it is probably hardware. Lilly is correct in that it could be the power supply. Other culprits could be a bad memory chip (but this often causes BSOD), or a bad/overheating CPU.

Get HWINFO, it is free and can tell you a lot about your PC. You can get it here. https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
    Once running you can move the top window to the side and click sensors on the bottom window. Scroll through that (it is a tad overwhelming) and loog for CPU temps and motherboard temps. Idling you should not see those much above 50C. With the CPU loaded it could go as high as 80C for the CPU, but then you start to get into the danger zone. Each model CPU has its own thermal max but it is rarely if ever above 100C, so seeing idle temps above 50 or loaded above 75 could put it at over heating. the good news is both a power supply and overheating are fairly easy to fix.