What does the Date mean on Blue Circle Hydrated Lime ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the date stamped on the side of Blue Circle Hydrated Lime is?
Is it a packing date or a 'Use By' date? It doesn't say. I can't find anything official from Blue Circle/Tarmac. A lot of their product info seems to have gone off line.
I was looking out for a new bag and one B&Q I went to said all their bags were out of date (but I never actually saw them)
In another B&Q they had plenty bags but they were all dated September to December 2023. Don't know if this means they are expired. (I've seen them trying to flog loads of out of date plaster and cement).
All seems a bit odd really.
Thankyou !

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does anyone know what the date stamped on the side of Blue Circle Hydrated Lime is?
Is it a packing date or a 'Use By' date? It doesn't say. I can't find anything official from Blue Circle/Tarmac. A lot of their product info seems to have gone off line.
I was looking out for a new bag and one B&Q I went to said all their bags were out of date (but I never actually saw them)
In another B&Q they had plenty bags but they were all dated September to December 2023. Don't know if this means they are expired. (I've seen them trying to flog loads of out of date plaster and cement).
All seems a bit odd really.
Thankyou !
As long as it's powdery, it will be fine.

IIRC, the "Use by" date of lime is a few million years.

The date on the bags is part of the manufacturering QA process

Sponsored Links
OK thanks folks.
I think the short answer is I'll buy the newest bag I can get and go off condition.
It does go off though, the stuff I chucked was no longer white and had gone yellowish and a bit clumpy.
Was about four years old (open paper bag, though reclosed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back