Wall not straight, kitchen fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently had my kitchen extension plasterboarded ready for my new kitchen and after checking the walls one of the walls where my hob will be fitted runs out around 30mm from one side to the other over 3.6m
How much of a problem will this be to keep units and worktop looking straight..if this will be a big issue should the plasterboard be taken down? Or can this be overcome by the kitchen fitter? It's only this one wall.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is straight but on an angle, it shouldn't be a problem, but the tiles on the floor will show a not true 90⁰.
Depending on what worktop and units you're using, it might show badly if you keep everything 90⁰ or not.
If for example you have floor to ceiling units with a gap where the hob is (so minimal worktop area), you could work around it and keep the true 90⁰ angles.

Thanks so much for your reply
The wall is straight but yes it's not a true 90 degrees there will be a 3.6m run of wall units and base units with a 3.6m worktop with a cut out for the hob, I would say it runs out 30mm from one side to the other, if the base units are kept square would scribing a 650mm worktop work or would it be very noticeable, we are not planning on have floor tiles.

Clint,
It might not work for you but I'v sometimes let the W/T into the plaster, and allowed the splashback tiles to pick up the other half of the discrepancy?
It should work with your 650mm W/T.
Keep the front W/T projection more or less even as best you can.

Sponsored Links
Thank you
I'm not sure if I am just over thinking everything, the base units will be 560mm depth with a 20mm door so total of 580mm depth they will also have a 42mm service void that could also be scribed to the wall to make the units sit square...the worktops are 650mm wide so that gives 70mm for all adjustments, we are not having tiles we will be having a 9mm back panel along the 3.6m run, we haven't got a kitchen fitter yet, I'm probably looking for assurance that it won't be noticeable or once the hob is fitted the strip of worktop behind the hob won't be thinner at one side and thicker at the other the hob is 800mm wide.

Thank you
I'm not sure if I am just over thinking everything, the base units will be 560mm depth with a 20mm door so total of 580mm depth they will also have a 42mm service void that could also be scribed to the wall to make the units sit square...the worktops are 650mm wide so that gives 70mm for all adjustments, we are not having tiles we will be having a 9mm back panel along the 3.6m run, we haven't got a kitchen fitter yet, I'm probably looking for assurance that it won't be noticeable or once the hob is fitted the strip of worktop behind the hob won't be thinner at one side and thicker at the other the hob is 800mm wide.
I am a kitchen fitter. What type of flooring are you having in your extension? If you are having tiles and you run your base units with the out of square wall it will show the wall is out of square when the plinth gets fitted.

Another way is to try and split the 30mm out of square.

Base units are normally 570mm ish with an 18mm door, most doors have a rubber button on them to stop them banging against the carcass which is about 2mm thick, so 570 + 20 is 590mm common worktop size is 600mm or 616mm your worktop is 650mm.

You can pull the right handside of the base unit run off of the wall by 15mm returning to a gradual zero to the far left, this splits the difference, or opposite depending on where the out of square starts from.

There will still be a marginal out of square behind the hob, but this can be reduced further with clever alignment of the backboard.

Thank you for your detailed reply, I have decided to remove the offending plasterboard and get it redone, I was spending to much time worrying about the potential knock on effects, it's only 2 dot and dab plasterboards that seem to be the main issue.
Thank you all for the reply I love this site and our helpfull you all are.:giggle:(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back