Two switches, two lights, one box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what I know is a simple situation, but I'm one of those people who need visuals. Here's the deal...

We are in the process of replacing a door. The new door is taller than the old one, so I had to move the electrical wire that comes from the main circuit box up, necessitating that I also move the box which contains two light switches on the opposite side of the door upward on the wall by just over a foot. I assume that most people would probably just splice in a length of wire to go the extra distance to the existing box, but we have that lovely aluminum wiring that is illegal to sell, so I can't get a new section of it. In the past, I've used that goop with metal filings in it to wire in another outlet (using a length of copper wire), but that didn't work out very well. Short of rewiring the whole house, moving the box seems the easiest and safest solution.

Here's where my problem comes in...

I drew a schematic of the wiring in the original box before I disconnected everything. Then, while I was in town buying a new box and switches, my dear husband cleaned up, tossing my little drawing in the trash. I didn't find this out until this morning, after the garbage man showed up, right on schedule. I do happen to own a wonderful little book called Wiring Simplified, but darned if I can find it now. I would happily go out to buy another book, but my car is waiting for my husband's next free weekend.

This box contains two switches -- to an outside light just outside the door, and to the ceiling light in the next room -- the kitchen. So I have three wires to contend with. The main wire that powers everything, the wire to the outside light, and another going to the kitchen light. There is also a black jump wire, still attached to a terminal on one of the old switches, but the other end was apparently broken off and I don't know where it should attach (and my drawing would not have helped with this question). I've been trying to find a simple drawing online of what the wiring should look like, but I've drawn a blank.

Each wire contains a white, a black, and a ground wire. The replacement switches (nothing wrong with the old ones -- I wanted white instead of cream) both have ground terminals. The power wire will come in through the bottom of the box, the other two out the top.

Is it possible to explain, in simple terms, what I need to do? Can you perhaps point me to a webpage that has a wiring schematic for my situation? Or should I try to be patient and wait for the replacement copy of Wiring Simplified I just ordered? ;)

Sponsored Links
the wire you have that is broken off sounds like it was a link between the two switches for the live (hot feed) but as you are in America and we are all here in the U.K i would suggest you wait untill your book arives, as our "wiring codes" are diiferent than yours.

And i wouldn't want to tell you something that is ok over here but not over there

I was afraid that might be a problem with getting advice, but I did have to laugh when you mentioned code. Believe me, there is nothing code about his house! We look forward to the day when we get to tear it down and build anew.

Just out of curiosity... From what I've seen in movies (not yet fortunate enough to make a visit there myself), light switches and door handles are generally placed higher in Britain than in the U.S. Right? Is that still the norm, or am I perhaps basing this knowledge on period films that have no bearing on modern building practices?

If this is the case, do you know why? I mean, is there a particular reason they're placed higher, or is the U.S. norm simply based on ease of use -- our inclination toward laziness? Er, preference toward ease of motion.

Sponsored Links
i have ben to America and the light switches did seem a bit low, ours are uaually around 5 feet from the floor

The other thing i would say, it did seem to me that there is only one manufacturer of light switches, they all seem the same no matter where you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back