Surfaces of shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a shower enclosure that I am going to re-tile, and I'd like to do it right. I think it used to be a cupboard or hotpress previous to a shower enclosure. House is 1930s.
I have taken off the old tiles and am left with one outside wall that is brick and cement, one internal wall that is lathe and cement/old style plaster(?) (good nic), one internal that is plasterboard, and a joiner friend is going to build a small half width wall to enclose it (with space left to get in and out and a step (rather than a screen door).
The internal wall with plasterboard had a 760 width shower tray buried into it (with of space is 725). I have got a 700 x 1000 to replace it, but that leaves me 25mm short.
I have a 8 x 4 sheet of 12mm Ply in the garage as well as a couple of 8 x 4 sheets of plasterboard (from a different job done a couple of months back).
Questions:
1) Could I build out the 25mm space with a combination of Ply and plasterboard, then tank it before tiling?
2) Can I tank the outside wall and tile it?
3) Can I tank the lathe and cement/old style plaster(?) and tile it?
4) For the new half width wall, can I just plasterboard it and tank and tile it?

Ideally I'd like to use the materials I have, but I want to make sure that the tanking system will cover the 3 different types of wall surface and allow the tiles to stay on for years to come.
I've read a load of different posts about tanking, aquapanels etc, but have come full circle and decided that I still can't decide!

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS - I'll probably go for the dunlop tanking on screwfix unless any of the tiling/diy shops in Belfast have something that is better value.

Sponsored Links
1) Could I build out the 25mm space with a combination of Ply and plasterboard, then tank it before tiling?
I’d just batten out & fix to that. Plasterboard, even Moisture Resistant is cack in a shower, both it & the ply will need tanking before you tile it. I would use a waterproof tile backer board instead, if you take into account the cost of the tanking kit(s) the difference will be negligible & you can tile straight onto it.

2) Can I tank the outside wall and tile it?
If it’s a solid wall with conventional plaster, no need to tank it, if the surface is sound just tile straight over it.

3) Can I tank the lathe and cement/old style plaster(?) and tile it?
No too sure about that one, it may not take the weight of the tiles, particularly if they are large & the lath or supports are a bit tired. You may be better to board over or remove it & re-board, depending on the condition of the lath supports.

4) For the new half width wall, can I just plasterboard it and tank and tile it?
As I said, I’d use tile backer board (certainly on the inside) but you could use what you have & tank it; think I’d go with a glass door, a wall is going to make it dark & claustrophobic in there. Is the ½ wall on the 700 or 1000 side? A ½ wall on a 1000 tray wont stop the water ending up everywhere, step in units are usually at least 1400mm; a 700mm tray isn’t that wide either & you may need elbow pads, have you thought about taking it down & reconfiguring so you can get a wider tray in there; even an extra 100mmm (800 wide) makes a difference.

Ideally I'd like to use the materials I have, but I want to make sure that the tanking system will cover the 3 different types of wall surface and allow the tiles to stay on for years to come. I've read a load of different posts about tanking, aquapanels etc, but have come full circle and decided that I still can't decide!
I know it’s tempting & you could use it providing you tank it all but, personally, I would bite the bullet & buy suitable materials from the start; if it’s a large area, you may find it’s cheaper than buying tanking products.

PS - I'll probably go for the dunlop tanking on screwfix unless any of the tiling/diy shops in Belfast have something that is better value.
Don’t buy the DIY shed cheapo stuff if you want it to last; good value usually means cack. I use BAL who are owned by Dunlop & had assumed their products were now the same but Jefoss isn’t convinced.

Thanks very much for your reply Richard.

As I said, I’d use tile backer board (certainly on the inside) but you could use what you have & tank it; think I’d go with a glass door, a wall is going to make it dark & claustrophobic in there. Is the ½ wall on the 700 or 1000 side? A ½ wall on a 1000 tray wont stop the water ending up everywhere, step in units are usually at least 1400mm; a 700mm tray isn’t that wide either & you may need elbow pads, have you thought about taking it down & reconfiguring so you can get a wider tray in there; even an extra 100mmm (800 wide) makes a difference.

The half wall will only go up about 4 ft then a glass panel above it, so shouldn't be too dark hopefully. The wall is 460mm across the 700 side, and a small bit of the 1000 side (enough to get in and out though). Hard to imagine I know, but the bathroom in these houses must have been an afterthought. We had to move a wall into the back bedroom to fit a bath in. 3 good size bedrooms and a bathroom that you couldn't swing a cat in.
Anyway, we're pretty restricted, especially as the plumber is in today doing his first fix on everything apart from the shower tray.
Think I'll go and get some of that backer board, sounds like the ticket. So I won't need to tank it then, that sound right?

Think I'll go and get some of that backer board, sounds like the ticket. So I won't need to tank it then, that sound right?
I use Aquapanel but there are others; make sure you get a waterproof backer board, they are usually cement based & quiet heavy. No need to tank.

Sponsored Links
I'm heading to B&Q this evening to get the aquapanel, will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back