Surface Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All :)
I have a whole bunch of cables running up the kitchen wall - one for the main cooker switch, one for a single socket and another for a double socket. Despite this bundle of cables looking unsightly does it have to be enclosed in trunking? Just curious really cos all light switches and most sockets are wired like this throughout the house....some in trunking, others not. Is it safe to leave like this or do I need to encase it? Ones in kitchen are in easy reach of my 2 year old daughter so I'm a bit concerned about it. (local authority housing, I'm afraid)
Oh, one more question while I'm here if anyone can help. When the loo light blows (which it frequently does) the bulb explodes into a thousand pieces leaving the actual fitting still in the holder - usually melted in. Anyone know what causes this?
Thanks
Wenniik

Sponsored Links
I would contact your local housing office about it. They are under a legal obligation to ensure all electrical fixtures and fittings are safe and working correctly, which your's obviously are not. As you have a small child they will be aware of the possible outcry if things are ignored and should act fast. A hint of a call to the local newspaper may help. Good luck.

for a lamp to explode is very unusual, i would ask where did you get the lamps from, many years ago, we (accidentaly honest) but a 24 v light into a 240 v light fitting, yes it went bang and black but it never exploded

It was just a regular 40 watt bayonet fitting bulb from Kwiksave....same kind I've used for last 8 years or so in my previous home. There's a kind of delay on this light though, something I've never seen before - it's a pull type (in the loo) but when you pull it on it takes a few seconds before the light actually comes on, and the same when turning it off. It's also very loud (the switch) and can be heard quite easily in the bedroom above. Council elecrician says there's noting wrong with it (though he hasn't actually looked at it). Anyway, I've called environmental health today and await a visit from them (wiring is just one of many concerns I've had to raise since I moved in here 3 months ago) Still interested in what you may think though :)

Sponsored Links
i would still suspect the quality of the lamp, why not get an energy saving lamp, cost more initally, save money in the long run

is possible someone replaced a flourencant fitting and left the choke in the circuit [delay on+off] +lamp blowing [higher voltage from choke};If u could check the voltage at ur fitting u should have 230-240v
Let us know how u get on
johnmic

no offence, to the previous poster, but i wouldn't do that (check the voltage) it is a thought (flourecent choke still being there) but if he is right when you disconnect the meter the choke coil will colapse and THAT will generate a very high voltage.

Do have a look to see if there is any "odd lump of metal" in the ceiling, don't touch but post if there is, but i still think faulty lamp

Thanks for all the suggestions. Check the voltage? this is a woman you're telling. I wouldn't know HOW to check the voltage. And there's nothing out of the ordinary as far as the lampholder's concerned - no lumps of metal, nothing to suggest there has been anything else in the immediate vicinity. (and this is a little 2'6 x 4' loo here, I don't think anyone would bother to fit flourescent lighting)
Good news is that the Head of Maintenance from the LA has finally agreed to come round and inspect it all tomorrow morning. Will let you know what his opinion is.
Thanks all
Wendy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back