Sticky Cold Lay Tar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had our drive block paved, there is a small section which was originally tarmac which has been extended slightly with cold lay tar. To prevent the tar getting onto the new blocks I've put some ply over it for now but I believe it can take a while for the tar to set fully. The guys suggested brushing some sand over the tar to reduce the stickyness, I have a bag of sharp sand with nothing to do at the moment. Is there any drawback to doing this? Will it affect the bonding of the tar?

TIA

Sponsored Links
No go nuts, kiln dried sand is a little better but use what you have. It also makes it blend in a little better

Was it rolled or whacked? or just rammed in with a tamper just just in dust crap grit off paving that witll help sand too dont matter hate cold lay its crap an soo pricey

it was whacked mostly (larger area) and I guess a tamper along a thin strip too small for the whacker. Wasn't really ideal but needed to blend in with the existing access at the bottom of the drive. thankfully it's probably not likely it will be driven on very much.

Sponsored Links
iv layed that cold lay gear before isnt nice try an lay a tarmac sealer over the top should stop stickiness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back