Skimming walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm stripping wallpaper of the living room walls but there seems to be glue paste l can't remove.
I want to get the walls skimmed and have been told that l need to put PVA on first before it's skimmed.
Can anyone advise me on how much it would cost to do this work on 4 walls?
Whoever does it will also need to skim behind the plastic tubes that hold the wiring

Sponsored Links
Photos attached

Attachments

• DSC_1882.JPG
    DSC_1882.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_1883.JPG
    DSC_1883.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_1882.JPG
    DSC_1882.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 61
OP,
2. Run any kind of sander over the surfaces. Take the proud bits off.
3. Two coats of 50:50 Pva.
4. skim.
1. This is actually item number one. Now is the time to sink all elec devices and cabling in metal channels at modern heights in modern safe zones. And add sockets.

Well a good plasterer will do that in a day so £250 - £400 depending on location and skill levels + materials but its a mine field out there with dubious perps passing themselves off as plasterers. 2 or 3 quotes if possible off recommendations from friends and acquaintances. Good luck you because you will need it.

Sponsored Links
Most plasterers will not want to deal with the electrics.
Assuming that you want this, probably £500-600

Poster #5,
No suggestion was made for a plasterer to "deal with the electrics".
The point is, no householder wants to start having the walls hacked out after its just been plastered rather than before its plastered.

OP,
2. Run any kind of sander over the surfaces. Take the proud bits off.
3. Two coats of 50:50 Pva.
4. skim.
1. This is actually item number one. Now is the time to sink all elec devices and cabling in metal channels at modern heights in modern safe zones. And add sockets.

Why metal channels?

I do however agree that it would make sense to bury the cables but the plasterer probably won't want to do that.

On the balance of probability, I guess they will just plaster around the trunking.

Burying the cables might well require the skirting to be removed first though, along with the trim at the top. Additionally, the light switch and socket will need to be buried.

Poster #7,

If you dont know why metal channels are superior to other channels then why are you advising on a plastering issue on a plastering forum?

I'm giving the OP an option - you are talking about a mysterious something you call "the balance of probability". What do you mean by "the balance of probability"?
How did you arrive at such a conclusion?

Why would "burying the cables" that we see in the pics "require the skirting to be removed first"?
Perhaps the skirtings would be removed anyway - do you know why?
What is "trim at the top"?

"light switches & sockets " are both electrical devices.
Why did you say: "additionally"?
Did you even read my post #3?

Poster #7,

If you dont know why metal channels are superior to other channels then why are you advising on a plastering issue on a plastering forum?

Metal channels will require a wider chase than pvc oval and from what I have read elsewhere a metal channel will require the use of RCD protection. Do you know if the OP has RCD protection?

I'm giving the OP an option - you are talking about a mysterious something you call "the balance of probability". What do you mean by "the balance of probability"?
How did you arrive at such a conclusion?

I will try to type more slooowly- most plasterers are not electricians. Assuming that the plasterer is not willing to bury the cables and trunking, and the OP has not got someone else to do it, the plasterer will simply plaster around the fittings. I have lost count of the number of houses that I have worked in where plasterers were not willing to loosen face plates and simply plastered around them.

Why would "burying the cables" that we see in the pics "require the skirting to be removed first"?
Perhaps the skirtings would be removed anyway - do you know why?
What is "trim at the top"?

On reflection, the skirting at the bottom would not need to be removed given that the spur(?) seems to come out of a 2 gang back box. Apropos the trim at the top- I cannot see if it is coving or not. It does look like coving that someone has cut a channel into. If so, that channel would need to be made wider so that the upper end of the cable can be buried sufficiently deep enough.

"light switches & sockets " are both electrical devices.
Why did you say: "additionally"?

Granted that was an error on my behalf. However in my defence, you go on to mention adding (additional?) sockets. Without additional fused protection, you are not allowed to run spurs off spurs in the UK.

You seem to be giving electrical advice based on US regulations rather than UK regulations- the OP is from London (UK). Why are you offering up potentially dangerous advice?

Did you read post #3?

Poster #10,
Stop, stop, stop - digging yourself in deeper.
You simply do not understand what you are talking about.
Careless talk costs lives.
You are a googler, inexperienced in basic building work but are now ducking & diving with further misunderstood google information to wriggle out of your original google silliness.

Your last desperate wriggle is ref USA & UK regs - but unless you understood US Regs then how could you compare & comment on them?
Anyhow, a bus just passed & it said "Sunny Jamaica" on its side - but I doubt that its going to Jamaica.

Poster #10,
Stop, stop, stop - digging yourself in deeper.
You simply do not understand what you are talking about.
You are a googler, inexperienced in basic building work but are now ducking & diving with further misunderstood google information to wriggle out of your original google silliness.

Your last desperate wriggle is ref USA & UK regs - but unless you understood US Regs then how could you compare & comment on them?
Anyhow, a bus just passed & it said "Sunny Jamaica" on its side - but I doubt that its going to Jamaica.

What is your problem?

The OP, and others are free to read through my previous posts (including posts not related to this one).

I know enough to know that Americans tend to have radial wiring rather than ring mains.

I "try" to offer advice, you seem to be one of those people that spouts bol/ax.

Perhaps you should pop out and tilt at windmills.

Keep Calm and Carry on . Dig for Victory. Why don't you go to Jamaica with your friends Vinn, Bobasd , Roy and Pete. ? Or carry on here , we all need a laugh :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back