Render or clad eroded brick house (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks, a first timer here hoping to glean some of your years of knowledge.
The thing is, we are getting a bit long in the tooth now, so decided to downsize to a bungalow. The face walls are a bit scruffy and slightly spalled in places, so l was considering building a new face wall tied in to the original wall to give it a facelift. Can l build on the original footings or will l need to extend the footings to accomodate the new wall. I called in on someone who l had seen had built in front of his face wall to see what planning or building regs, he had to comply with. But he said he had done it off his own bat and will face the consequences when he sells, can't be doin wi that, any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated, sorry for goin on a bit!

Sponsored Links
Do you not like render. K rend can be cut into good patterns. Sorry can't help with the question just wanted to suggest an alternative.

Thanks for the suggestion, that would have been my immediate idea, unfortunately the bungalow is on a small cul de sac and all the houses are of the same red brick, which in it's day
probably looked good. Most are well maintained and in keeping with each other so l wanted a nice change but not a glaring change which would probably make us, the newcomers as popular as Adolf Hitler. My grandson has just had his house rendered, looks fabulous, completely changed the place!

As far as I remember they do a terracotta colour amongst many others.

Sponsored Links
Hello again jj, thanks for your input, but it's got to be brick or left as it is, had. enough trouble
convincing the wife l wasn't goin to knock the walls down to renew the face bricks.
Have to see what suggestions anyone else has, thanks for your time mate.

Brick slips would be ideal if you didn't want render, no need for foundations and insulation could be used if needed.

Hiya Charlie George, thanks for your suggestion, some great results on your video by the way.
I have looked at this method, obviously not in enough detail, your video as l mentioned shows
some really good results.
As you say this would remove the need for footings and also keep costs down from concrete and labour.
Would you, or anyone, know of a company who carry out this work and have some past projects l could look at to have a close up of the finished job.
I live in Sheffield and was a joiner in a past life, before l retired, l would normally do the job myself as we all do to save a few bob, but if the price is right it would be nice to watch someone who does it for a living make a finish like the results in your video.
Also a bit off putting is, it's an external wall and needs to look good, if l dropped a goolie doin
it, l would see it every day for all the years l'm goin to live here, my life would be a nightmare,
as well as all me mates takin the ****!!!!
Thanks again mate, this has got to be the way to go, gonna look into it a lot deeper now.
Have to say, good forum this.

Hello again C G, came across a few companies who supply and fix or supply only,
I must be really lazy not to have looked into this properly, put some on years ago in a house for somebody, turned out ok, but never seen them used externally.
The system l have seen is by Eurobrick, which uses an insulated panel of various thicknesses
which has a sort of grid pattern on the outside, the bricks are stuck into this grid forming the brick joints, seems almost foolproof, even for me, if l can sell the idea to the wifey all l need then is a lottery win to be able to buy the gear to do the job.
Thanks both for your suggestions youv'e made an old man very happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back