Refurbish a house that will be rented out - where to start?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
My father owns a house in good location in a small town that has been empty for a few years. He isn't keen on selling it and we are now toying with the idea of refurbishing the house before renting it out.

Should I first be looking to get an engineer to carry out a structural survey or should I get in contact with architect to get their view on what they would do with the house?

My own train of thought is to engage with one of the above to sound out my own ideas and get their ideas/find any defects with the property. Once I have this I would get in contact with a few general contractors to get quotes to get an idea on what it would cost.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would start with a right move search to see what rent you might get

I guess the problem with high mortgage rates wont be a worry in terms of income as its owned outright

Ive heard that people are choosing to do airbnb more than long term rents -if its in a tourist location might be worth considering

I've been keeping an eye on letting around the area to get an idea of what rent we could get for the house but the house hasn't been done up in many years (last big change was 15 years ago when all new windows and doors were put in) so I don't think it would get a good return unless there was some work done to it.

Correct I am and the house are based in Ireland. There is also a grant available of €50k if you do up the house to be rented out which is why I'm looking at what work could be done.

I can see raising damp in one of the walls and I personally think a replumb / rewire of the house could be in order and a remodel of the bathrooms and kitchen would be high on the list. But I'm more worried about things I don't see.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have some ideas on what to do. Certainly the damp issue needs resolving.

Looked further at the doc I suggested - think the title is misleading.
You could see if you can access this Document

Electrical work - I'd suggest you ask a good electrician to check the house wiring (in the UK it's an EICR).
Plumbing wise - maybe similar, is any pipework Lead or Galvanised? both could do with being replaced.

Check for insect infestation that may require treatment.

I'd certainly suggest having a Positive Airflow system installed and powered in such a way as it cannot be switched off easily.

'Rising damp' could just be that the place has been empty and unheated for a few years.
Architects cost money, overkill for a rented property, unless very high end.
Regarding a survey, is there anything wrong with it that is obvious to you? Walls all straight? Floorboards sound? Roof not leaking?
You should definitely get the electrics and heating system checked out by professionals. It will probably cost a bit to get it all sorted and rentable.

You need an EPC, plus electrical and gas inspections, which will cost a few £100s. Then you'll find out just how much more work is needed.

You should definitely get the electrics and heating system checked out by professionals. It will probably cost a bit to get it all sorted and rentable.

No should about it. Gas safe, EPC and EICR for electrics are mandatory

If there's a mortgage on it, then the lender needs to be notified AND on the business level, could you survive 12 - 18 months with a tenant who doesn't pay?

No should about it. Gas safe, EPC and EICR for electrics are mandatory

If there's a mortgage on it, then the lender needs to be notified AND on the business level, could you survive 12 - 18 months with a tenant who doesn't pay?

I don't feel that I misused the word should.

HumanAstronomer3194 said
Correct I am and the house are based in Ireland. There is also a grant available of €50k if you do up the house to be rented out which is why I'm looking at what work could be done.
Had a browse around the IPOA website and found this information https://ipoa.ie/minimum-standards-for-rented-accommodation/

The site also has plenty useful information. Looks like there is the RTB who you register with. They may be helpful to discuss your plans with. But I'd suggest that the IPOA is your first choice for information.
The originator of the thread is in Southern Ireland (Eire) - they have different rules.

Last edited:
So do you think I would be wasting my money to get survey done on the house? Something similar to the type two survey listed here https://scsi.ie/consumer/property-healthy-check/building-survey/ as I'm wondering is there anything wrong with the structure that I'm not aware of or should I just go straight to a building contractor to get their thoughts on it.

The house hasn't been occupied in 10+ years and added to the fact the house was mostly built by my father and his brother both of whom not in any sort of trade. The electrics was all done by my father so I suspect it wouldn't be up to code at the time never mind now (even if it lasted for many years) and looking at the fuse board I would suspect any sparks will just look at it and say it needs a full rewire.
1711713399413.png

While there is gas in the area the house isn't connected and was heated by a oil fired boiler. Whatever about the electrics the heating system needs to be completely replaced and that would be another question should I replace with oil or gas.

Also looking at this type of damp I suspect it's more than just to do with the house been unoccupied for many years
1711717904394.png

As there is a grant available of €50k in Ireland if the house has been unoccupied for a few years. I want to utilise as much as I can of that grant on the important parts of the house.

My own ideas on what I'd do is;
Anything plumbing replaced
New kitchen and bathrooms as both are from the 70s
Skylight added to up upstairs bathroom
Rewire

But if I find out the roof is condemned or something I'd like to focus on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back