Opinions on this leadwork please

the leaking back gutter ...

Attachments

• IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
OP,
Mortaring the tiles above the back gutter is wrong its possibly causing capillary damp to creep into the roof?
In turn, Lift all the tiles & the all lead around each chimney stack then post pics.
You've mentioned the roof membrane - membrane detailing is sometimes a cause of leaks.
Dont use Flashband.
Your blue bricks are the stack DPC.
Why not post pics of the flaunching on top of the two stacks?

I have now found a guy, fairly local to me, that has confirmed the back gutter work is poor and likely to be responsible for water backing up and getting off the sides of the back apron - he will replace it all, fitting a proper sole plate, doing his own welding and providing a good width of lead to the sides of the chimney. I doubt I would get far chasing the first lot for some refund so the next and last post will hopefully be a pic of a really nice piece of leadwork ... that keeps the water out.
Thank you all who took an interest and gave comments.

The Mackie,
Thanks, on the face of it I agree with you but lead burning/welding would have indicated that it was the work of a lead worker.
There's also the bossing aspect - as you'll know, correct bossing means forcing lead from place to place to reinforce (thicken up) corners or shape the lead sheet without significantly reducing thickness.
Very few in my experience even know thats how its done or couldn't care less because its easier to blast the lead around corners etc.

FWIW: As you also probably know, City&Guilds used to present you with a square piece of code 4 sheet lead, & give you 2hrs to boss it into a hopper head.

Even the national treasure Pete Scholey on a Just Lead utub give a bad example of bossing.
Not necessarily, depends on experience with that one. An older lead worker is more likely to boss it instead of pulling all his gear up for a small job. I'm aware due to being a leadworker.

My city and guilds training course was a 5 day one and we certainly didn't use code 4 for a hopper.

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily, depends on experience with that one. An older lead worker is more likely to boss it instead of pulling all his gear up for a small job. I'm aware due to being a leadworker.

My city and guilds training course was a 5 day one and we certainly didn't use code 4 for a hopper.
Well said The Makie . ree (Vinn and his other aliases ) are well known here - though he's been quiet for a few years - He needs calling out because he's full o' feaces LOL

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back