Needing advice on a timber step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to make a step.
We have an interior brick floor, laid, not yet finished.

Step.jpg

In front of the door there's a concrete area which I want to cover in a wooden step.
The area is 1680*360*25mm
Initially I was thinking of ply, but really I guess the answer is hardwood.
Am I likely to get a bit of timber, that size, anywhere?
Any thoughts/ideas gladly invited.
Thanks, people.

Sponsored Links
Maybe solid hardwood panel

Or buy some machined hardwood and glue up a panel yourself

Window board?

would a sunken door mat not be a better choice??
timber becomes unstable in greater than around 5- 7" wide so 360mm would probably be 4x 4x1"[21x93mm] glued together
furniture board will be soft and easily marked, as will any wood just in side a door with all the detritus from the outside world

Sponsored Links
would a sunken door mat not be a better choice??
timber becomes unstable in greater than around 5- 7" wide so 360mm would probably be 4x 4x1"[21x93mm] glued together
furniture board will be soft and easily marked, as will any wood just in side a door with all the detritus from the outside world
I concur with this idea! At my mum's place, I cut and glued (sticks like **** turbo) a nice hardwood frame and coated the sunken area with 2-part epoxy resin. We then cut a washable mat to sit neatly inside the frame. It's a great solution, and it's non-slip!

Why didn't you just keep going with the bricks right up to the door?

If there is no dpc under the blocks you may get moisture making it's way up through any wooden step.
You could cement/glue down some STS board first, then wood to this.

What about brick slips?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back