Meter tails sizing calculations ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Is it correct that " The distribution board must be capable of taking the whole load without the application of diversity"

Also a typical example for calculating the tail sizes would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
craig1 said:
Hello,
Is it correct that " The distribution board must be capable of taking the whole load without the application of diversity"

Cheers!

someone just started college?

A tip. Look at the rating of the incomer.

And next time, ask your lecturer.

craig1 said:

"The distributors requirements for the csa and length of meter tails" is part of the basic information required from the distributor before starting work on an installation which requires a new supply.
The minimum cable size should be 25mm². The distributor may specify maximum length and the minimum CSA. Where the meter tails are protected against fault current by the distributor's cut-out the method of installation, maximum length and minimum CSA must comply with the requirements of the distributor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, looks like ill need to install larger tails as the present cables are 16mm. Is it worth fitting an isolator between the main cut out and consumer unit as i will require a new unit in the near future?

craig1 said:
Is it worth fitting an isolator between the main cut out and consumer unit as i will require a new unit in the near future?

you cant. youll have to get the DNO to do that.

You can fit one between the meter and the CU.

The DNO will do it for you, but some charge for it.

If you DIY you have the issue of pulling the service fuse to consider....

My understanding of pulling the main fuse is safe as long as the isolator

at the cu is off and not drawing any current in any way.

craig1 said:
My understanding of pulling the main fuse is safe as long as the isolator

at the cu is off and not drawing any current in any way.
And the fuse carrier is not broken or faulty, and if you can pull it straight out without hiting anything and if you do not come into contact with any live parts and if nothing creates a L/N or L/E fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back