Laminate problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. I believe the laminate was put down in this house when it was built in 1994 so, in the hall at least, it goes under the skirting. At some point, the previous owner has managed somehow to take two sizable (like 3”) chunks out of it.

I don’t see any easy way of replacing the damaged sections without taking the skirting off, which I don't want to do… any ideas anybody? I might even settle for filler, if I could get anything suitable which would approximately match the colour…

2. In the living room, it has beading round the edges, which makes everything easier… now what I want to do there is run fine cables under the beading, for the rear surround sound speakers. The beading will break when I lift it – not least because the previous owner has used No More Nails to stick it to both the skirting and laminate :mad:

Is there any way of working out exactly what colour it is, so that I can buy some new beading which matches? I could take a piece of it down to B&Q and compare, yes, but their prices are horrendous… it doesn't say anything useful on the back, except Scotia Oak Plank Effect, and all the different shades of oak say that…

Sponsored Links
Take a series of pictures with your mobile
Colour rendition may be miles off, hence the need for several, and find one that matches the actual trim/floor. Then head for b and q / wickes/ Homebase until you find a good enough match

Sorry, didn't really explain myself properly. I have already removed a bit of the beading, so can take it to B&Q for a match, but they charge like FOUR TIMES what I'd pay online, so I'm wondering if there's any way of figuring out what they are...

Forgot to post the pics of the damage too {D'Ohhh emoticon}

IMAG1282.jpg
IMAG1281.jpg

You could buy plain timber scotia and paint it white to match the bottom of the skirting rather than the floor.
You could cut the laminate in situ with a multi tool ( or Stanley knife , repeated cuts)along the middle which would allow you to remove the edge board from under the skirting . Replacing is more difficult though you could just leave short and cover gap with more scotia trim .
I have put boards under fixed skirting but requires ripping the new plank to just a few mm over width and removing the bottom lip of the laminate . Then the board can be placed under the skirting and pulled back to meet existing with a drop of wood adhesive run along joint first . This is enough to keep joint secure and being at the edge gets very little if any foot traffic.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back