kitchen tap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a Gatun monoblock kitchen tap from B&Q. However, when we looked at the old one we couldn't figure how to disassemble it. We can see the difficult to get at "nut" at the rear but there seems to be a "plate" that looks like it holds the tap in place.
My son, who is far better at diy than me, is convinced that the tap is permanently attached to the entire sink top.
Please, what is this "plate"?
What is it for?
Is it possible, or likely, that the tap is "welded" to the sink top?

I am attaching some, rather poor, photo's my son took of the underside of the sink, hopefully, showing the mysterious "plate". Sorry but this is really the best we quality we could get.

Please see three (3) images in my "Kitchen tap" folder.

Sponsored Links
I think that plate is just a strengthening/locating plate that's came with the old tap. The new ones are round instead of square. I wouldn't think that the tap is permanently welded to it. What you may find though, given the plate looks like it's rusted, is that the threaded bar may have become rusted against the plate and the plate against the steel so may be a bit of a bug*er to get loose
Remove the nut, take out the pipe tails by unscrewing and twist the old tap, it should move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back