Integral blinds in double glazed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

Is it possible to retrofit sealed units with integral blinds into existing upvc frames?

I Have a large bathroom window and although it's obscure glass it is actually quite transparent!

If they are available can you suggest a source?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I don't know the answer to the blind question but are you aware that different patterns of obscure glass have different levels of "transparency"? There are documented levels of privacy ranging from 1 to 5 for each of the different patterns available with 1 being almost transparent and 5 being very difficult to see through. It might be simpler to change the pattern of the glass to one with a level 5 privacy rating?

Better choice of privacy glass is one method of attack.

Perfect fit blinds that attach into the DG frame is another... e.g. https://www.perfectfitblinduk.com/ is one supplier --- there are a lot out there and it's not a recommendation.

Other options would include venetian and roller blinds... or even curtains. Night-time lighting against glass alone often means one can see people moving around in the room.

I don't know the answer to the blind question but are you aware that different patterns of obscure glass have different levels of "transparency"? There are documented levels of privacy ranging from 1 to 5 for each of the different patterns available with 1 being almost transparent and 5 being very difficult to see through. It might be simpler to change the pattern of the glass to one with a level 5 privacy rating?

A cheaper option, rather than change the glass, is to add a plastic film to the glass. Modern ones are extremely effective.

Sponsored Links
In answer to the original question, depends how thick your sealed units are. I'm pretty sure that integral blinds have to go in 28mm sealed units

Thanks for all the replies!
I didn’t realise there were different levels of obscurity with glass and I didn’t even think of applying a film. That sounds like a great option!
Thanks again!

Thanks for all the replies!
I didn’t realise there were different levels of obscurity with glass and I didn’t even think of applying a film. That sounds like a great option!

I've had it for several years, on two of the house clear windows. You just make sure they are spotlessly clean, moisten, slide the film into place, then trim with a blade. They come with various patterns, and obscurity levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back