insulation testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am a new member joined today

i wish to test my ring main for insulation ect.

how do i do this

thank you

Sponsored Links
To do an insulation resistance test on your ring final circuits, which is what I presume you mean you need either a dedicated insulation resistance meter or a multi function tester capable of creating test voltages of 250v, 500v.

A multimeter is not suitable for this application.

Why are you wanting to perform these tests?

Sponsored Links
To do an insulation resistance test on your ring final circuits, which is what I presume you mean you need either a dedicated insulation resistance meter or a multi function tester capable of creating test voltages of 250v, 500v.

A multimeter is not suitable for this application.

Why are you wanting to perform these tests?

after i moved into the property i found that one end of the ring had been cut off at the fuse box

so all the sockets were in effect on a radial circuit

i have now replaced the last length of cable and and i know have a ring

i just thought that to test the circuit would be a good idea

So that will be continuity of the conductors, continuity of the ring conductors, insulation resistance and polarity.

Do you also want to check that things were OK before, and measure the fault loop resistance and test the RCD?

Won't end to end continuity of ring conductors followed continuity with the cross connections in place cover the circuit polarity check? ;)

Yes, but he could do that (with not much accurancy) using his multimeter.

I think BAS is gently hinting that there's more to it than continuity and insulation resistance.

So that will be continuity of the conductors, continuity of the ring conductors, insulation resistance and polarity.

Do you also want to check that things were OK before, and measure the fault loop resistance and test the RCD?

yes all this if poss.

I dont think they have said it yet but you may be better off just getting in an electrician to test it for you & do a PIR.
It may cost less than purchasing the correct equipment to do it all.

Unless you can borrow the gear (and someone that knows how to use it) ;)

yes all this if poss.

It isn't possible to perform all those tests with a multimeter.

Set your multimeter to the resistance setting, and select the lowest range available. Isolate the power supply and remove both legs of the ring final circuit from the fuse/mcb, also remove the neutral and earth conductors from the relevant block.

Now connect one probe to the phase conductor of one leg, and the other probe to the phase conductor of the other leg. If you get a low reading (and probably a buzzing noise from the meter) then you have continuity. Repeat the above only end-to-end for the neutral and earth conductor.

Now at the consumer unit connect the phase conductor of one leg to the neutral conductor of the other leg. Now go around behind each socket and test the resistance between phase and neutral - if every socket is on the ring, with no interconnections or spurs then the results should be pretty much the same. If most are the same and then the results start increasing and then decreasing abck to the original result you have an interconnection between sockets. If you have one high reading then you might have a loose connection or that socket could be a spur. An open circuit reading (infinite resistance) means the connections at the socket are wrong (either phase or neutral is swopped with the earth).

Repeat the above but now cross connect phase and earth conductors at the CU and test between them at the sockets.

You can not perform an insulation resistance test using a standard multimeter, nor can you test the RCD is functioning correctly. You also won't be able to test the external earth resistance so you can't confirm that your Zs is within limits. If you want to do these other tests, then you need to get yourself a multifunction tester and a few books before you even think about doing any form of live tests.

A better option to doing this work yourself when you don't seem to have any knowledge of testing, is to get an electrician in to do it for you. Would definately work out cheaper than buying the gear to do it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back